Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an developing an intolerance for dust. Especially the fine sanding and circle saw dust. Depending on the type of dust I can spend 2 days clearing my head out. I get the big stuff with dust collection, so I was looking at Festool at the local Woodcraft. Kinda spendy...but might be worth it if they work like they say they do. Is anybody using them and how do ya like them??

·
Registered
789 Posts
Since the no smoking ban went into effect all over, I have seen filteration systems on E Bay selling dirt cheap....I would not be surprised if you could develope a clean air handler for not much money, based on the box and filters...maybe roll it around to the area you are working and positively draft air through it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was kinda hoping something that Santa could bring me....:laughing: :w00t:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I've had my eye on that AFT55 (I think it is?) saw and rail system for a few years. I'm glad I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet because last year I think it was they made some fairly drastic upgrades.
I'm not saying it can replace a sliding table saw but I can't imagine what advantage a panel saw would have over the Festool and in fact, the Festool system has many over it I would think.
Festool is one of the few brands i don't own. Expect for the ATF55, I can't justify the extravagant price for their othe tools based on the reviews they get compared to other brands' respective tools.
Example, I own the Bosch Euro style barrel grip jigsaw. the festool jigsaw is much more expensive but can't possibly justify it's higher tag.
The Festool Vaccum system is rated hig but for crying out loud, who wants to spend that kind of money for something that does not exceed some other systems performance at least not by a couple hundred more dollars.
The ROS, routers, and other common tools are just too over-priced in my opinion. But alas, it's just that, an opinion.
Now as AFA the ATF55? I'm gonna get one fairly soon - overpriced and all. :yes: :shifty:

·
Registered
1 Posts
festool ts 75

HI, I thought just like you but since buying the 75 I think it is worth twice what I paid for it.(£698 uk pounds) with 8ft and 800mm straight edge and fine tooth blade (£59). like having a mobile cabinet workshop.
On one job alone cut up 90 8ft by 4ft 3/4in sheets of mdf for walk in closets and the like, rigged it up to Hitachi vac with bit and pieces, vac is a must. cuts 8ft 45degrees spot on. could go on forever

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have some products from Festool and have no compaints, the dust collection is top notch. They have package deals where you can save a little if you buy the collector & a tool. The sanders leave virtually no dust, the tools seem expensive but they are well worth it imho

·
Registered
45 Posts
Best tool package I have is the festool 55 circular saw guide rail and vacuum. Absolutely love it. I allow my 10 year old to make cuts. Easy and dead on accurate with no set up time. You get what you pay for, for sure with the saw and rail. Might go for the sander soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using a few Festool tools for a year or so and can vouch for the outstanding design & build quality.

My favourite is the OF 1010 EBQ router. It's pistol grip means you can use it one-handed while you hold the work with your other. One day all small routers will be like this.

I use the Festool dust extractor and random orbital sander combo. There is virtually no dust left in the air & the finish is superb.

The Festool jigsaw outperforms any other I've used. I bought mine specifically to cut out a 48" diameter table top out of 2" solid oak after all other ideas failed. It ate it!

Anybody tried the Domino system yet? I'm getting one as soon as I've paid my tax bill. If it's half as good as it looks then its history for the biscuit joiner. Sell your Lamello stock now!

Can I remind Texas Timbers of his own comments;

".....good meat ain't cheap and cheap meat ain't good. . ."

Now go buy Festool!

And there I was thinking I was a DeWalt man!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Duncan....

Ya put me over the top...I'm gonna stop by today and test them again. I'm sure my pockets will be a little lighter when I leave.:yes: :yes: :yes:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Burl I'm sure you already know this but i didn't until this thread started, but there is a model 75 out now I think it has a deeper cut depth among other features. If you're gonna get in the doghouse ya might as well make it worth it. :laughing:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah....when I go in...I go all the way......:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Unfortunatly I didn't get to the tool store today....I actually had to go to work and straighten a couple of things out....But maybe tomorrow.

Maybe I'll get lucky and get new tools and the battery for my camera will come in and I'll share the score with you guys....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When those digital camera batteries die they die right now :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had to make a huge train table for my neighbor this weekend. 10 x 7 using 4 sheets of plywood for everything. Made it so no tools are needed to assemble it after it is carried into his basement. Every time I made a cut, with the 55 circular saw and vacuum and while working alone in confined space ,I actually said outloud " I love this Saw".
No better way to cut cabinet grade ply, splint free, anywhere you are with just saw horses and a sacrificial piece of ply.
love it, love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts