Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local lowes has a bostitch compressor, finish nailer, brad nailer and finish stapler as a set for $229 down from $299. Thinking about pulling the trigger but wanted to hear what anybody had to say about bostitch nailers. I'm getting ready to put down new floors with new moulding and about 60ft of crown moulding and figured this would be perfect.

·
John
3,028 Posts
My local lowes has a bostitch compressor, finish nailer, brad nailer and finish stapler as a set for $229 down from $299. Thinking about pulling the trigger but wanted to hear what anybody had to say about bostitch nailers. I'm getting ready to put down new floors with new moulding and about 60ft of crown moulding and figured this would be perfect.
Bostich is a good name and about the only bad I've heard is that some models absolutely require Bostich brand staples. That looks like a decent deal considering it includes a compressor. Sorry, I can't directly testify to Bostich as everything I have is Hitchi or Porter Cable.:smile:
If you aren't particularly concerned about the reconditioned market, this isn't a bad deal either except it doesn't include the stapler:
http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_KNT65...r_Compressor_Kit_(Reconditioned)___i2244.aspx
I have the NT50 and it's a pretty good unit. For brad nailers, make sure you get one that shoots up to 2" brads, many cheaper ones only shoot 1¼ which are a little short in a lot of applications.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Yes it is 2" brads, 2 1/2" finish nails and 1 1/2" staples.
Good deal - I had a 1¼" and the very first job was to nail some 3/4" molding up. 3/4" molding plus 3/8" drywall left precious little to hold the stuff on with.
For recommendations, try using Amazon and see what kind of feedback the thing gets. Several other places collect feedback on products also, you just need to take them all with a grain of salt.
Good Luck.:smile:

Reactions: Paarker

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have had 3 Bostiitch nailers for about 10 years....had to have 2 of them rebuilt....but that was to be expected....I like them.....brad nailer, a 16ga nailer, and a framing nailer.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it home and unboxed. Everything was there as it should be. Compressor is surprisingly quite for an oiless unit. Put a few fasteners through each gun and all performed flawlessly. I can't believe I waited this long to purchase these and at under $250 out the door for everything, this was a steal!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I have the flatter bostich compressor, and a small nailer. The compressor is a workhorse. I sprayed all my cabinet doors latex paint through a hvlp gun which needed about double what this compressor could put out. I burned up a craftsman compressor after 30 minutes of running. There were enough doors and the paint was thinned enough that I was often able to do multiple coats one after another...at one time that compressor never shut off for over 3 hours straight without so much as a hiccup.

As for the nailer...only problem I've had is the emblem fell off...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the flatter bostich compressor, and a small nailer. The compressor is a workhorse. I sprayed all my cabinet doors latex paint through a hvlp gun which needed about double what this compressor could put out. I burned up a craftsman compressor after 30 minutes of running. There were enough doors and the paint was thinned enough that I was often able to do multiple coats one after another...at one time that compressor never shut off for over 3 hours straight without so much as a hiccup.

As for the nailer...only problem I've had is the emblem fell off...
This compressor will be used strictly for nail guns. I have a 40gal for the regular shop duties.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the older kit like that from a couple of years ago and have had no problems. I also have the framing nailer. They don't see constant use, but I've been happy with them so far.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks solid. I had a terrible time a couple years back with the bostitch angled trim gun and it met the 36 ounce framing hammer. The hammer won. But your kit has the straight nailer so I'm sure it's fine. I have the bostitch magnesium framing gun and that sucker has worked flawlessly for 7 or 8 years now. I must've shot 50k nails with it. And I never oiled it once ! I just picked up two bostitch micro palm nailers and so far so good.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've never liked the Bostich brad guns---they need a tool to remove a jam--

The guns I use all have a lever that opens the nose
and allows the jammed brad to be removed without a tool--
or loose parts that can be dropped and lost.

I have two Bostich brad guns in the junk bin---
Both have jammed nails ----and will never be used again---

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never liked the Bostich brad guns---they need a tool to remove a jam--

The guns I use all have a lever that opens the nose
and allows the jammed brad to be removed without a tool--
or loose parts that can be dropped and lost.

I have two Bostich brad guns in the junk bin---
Both have jammed nails ----and will never be used again---
I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it. Really appreciate your Info. I'll see if I can track down that tool

·
Banned
615 Posts
I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it. Really appreciate your Info. I'll see if I can track down that tool
the tool isn't a special one. Its usually an Allen wrench or screwdriver to open the nose of the gun and get access to the stuck brad. Some air nailers don't need any tools to open it up.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bostich is a good name and about the only bad I've heard is that some models absolutely require Bostich brand staples.
That is very true! I have the one that'll use up to 2 1/2" nails and if they're not Bostich, they'll usually jam.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I bought a Harbor Freight stapler for $20 plus $5 warranty and tax.

It has never jam ed and uses any brand of staple.

Harbor Freight... go figure

1 - 18 of 18 Posts