Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw these photos of a refrigerator turned on its back and used as a patio chest.

I have an old refrigerator that I'm thinking about using, but I just wonder if the thing is actually running because the compressor oil would eventually clog it up or burn out the compressor with out the lubricant.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'd bet it stopped running and that's why it was converted... at that point you have a very well insulated box. Then I suspect you'd drill a drain hole and fill it with ice when you want to use it.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd bet it stopped running and that's why it was converted... at that point you have a very well insulated box. Then I suspect you'd drill a drain hole and fill it with ice when you want to use it.
Your probably right, I didn't think of that when I first saw the photo and assumed that it was working. Then I remembered the warnings about letting it stand upright over night if transported on it's side or back.
Well my refrigerator is in perfect running shape so I guess I'll pass on this idea.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
horizontal or vertical?

I saw these photos of a refrigerator turned on its back and used as a patio chest.

I have an old refrigerator that I'm thinking about using, but I just wonder if the thing is actually running because the compressor oil would eventually clog it up or burn out the compressor with out the lubricant.
The difference is minimal, but the horizontal one looks a bit more like a deck piece. The advantage to vertical is that you can still have a working fridge within the wooden enclosure. The pump will still work, the shelves will still pull out, and the doors won't need hydraulic struts. OK, it will not have the seating advantage if that's an issue, but for my money, I'm goin' vertical and still have it work. Other wise remove the pump from it's original mount and turn it vertical like it was before and use the box horizontally... as shown.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The more I think about it I would rather have more patio space. When I first saw it, I was thinking more of a place to set plates or something while barbequing, but that will not work anyway if everyone is opening up the lid to get drinks. So even though it looks cool, it’s just not practical for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts