Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A neighbor gave me some of this to see what I can do with it, but right now I'm drawing blanks..
It's beautiful stuff and hard as rocks, but every piece of the tree from what I can tell has splitting from the inside out.. There's quite a bit of it and all I have is my 14" bandsaw with a shallow cut of just 6" .. Any ideas? It has cracks and splits from the hollow pith to the outer sap wood. Still..I want to figure out some use for it.. I'm thinking about maybe filling the cracks with epoxy if I can get something close to a smooth or flat surface somewhere on it..

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just some information about eucalyptus..it can make your eyes burn so if you ever work with it be careful rubbing your eyes.. A little birdie told me about it..not that I have any personal experience with such things.. Ouch?

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahha! Knife scales! Anyone make knife handles with eucalyptus? I guess so..

·
Registered
100 Posts
I sent my dad a piece for turning. I'd do as you were thinking - fill with epoxy. Would make an interesting river style table - the top piece would look like a stretch of rapids.

Russ

·
Registered
337 Posts
There are a lot of examples of river style woodworking online, your first photo made me think of a braided river, some of the most beautiful aerial photos in my opinion.

This photo by Andre Ermolaev is from a site with a lot of other great photos: 500px

For an explanation of braided rivers: Braided river - Wikipedia

I don't have epoxy experience, maybe use a clear epoxy to show the fibers in the splits?

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing large enough for such riverness.. I only have small logs the size of firewood basically.. There is a full trunk still in the ground about 10-12 feet up, but other than a small chain saw I have no way of doing much of anything with it. I did get a few slices about big enough to make pocket knife scales. This stuff is really hard wood.. I'm trying to figure out a way to just cut the wider pieces without beating them apart with an axe and a sledge hammer. Too big for the bandsaw.. I might set up some kind of sled to use the chain saw. About the thickest piece I've been able to cut so far is just under 6" across..

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After cutting eucalyptus it feels like I've been smoking menthol cigarettes all day.. I haven't smoked menthol for years.. Odd sensation..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts