Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -fairly new to this forum and woodworking.

Do you have any tips on where to get free or very cheap wood to use for small furniture projects?

I go to a local tip, and see nice wood in one of the bins but taking things from there is forbidden - I cant think of anywhere else that people are throwing wood away, and that I can take it

If you were on a really tight budget and wanted to make something and didn't mind mixing and matching wood etc, how would you go about it please?

Tips and ideas appreciated

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Check businesses that sell heavy and semi-heavy equipment like lawn tractors, etc. These are sometimes shipped to dealers in wood crates that end up in the trash. If you find some, be sure to go in and ask before you start pulling stuff from their trash. Also, some folks try to find old wood pallets. Be very careful. Aside from sometimes containing hardware and grit, these are often used for stuff like fertilizers, insecticides, and/or other potentially toxic materials. Again. Ask before you take.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Hi all -fairly new to this forum and woodworking.

Do you have any tips on where to get free or very cheap wood to use for small furniture projects?

I go to a local tip, and see nice wood in one of the bins but taking things from there is forbidden - I cant think of anywhere else that people are throwing wood away, and that I can take it

If you were on a really tight budget and wanted to make something and didn't mind mixing and matching wood etc, how would you go about it please?

Tips and ideas appreciated
Find a local millwork. A lot of time their waste may be something you could use for small projects.

· Registered
482 Posts
Like John said, keep your eye out for old worn out furniture that people are throwing away. I've got some nice lumber out of that stuff. I've salvaged some wormy chestnut, red cedar and popular from under peeling vaneers on old furniture.
Wood Table Flooring Floor Hardwood
I salvaged the red cedar, on the side of this wanagon, from an old throw away wardrobe.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts