Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a clear or light amber transparent interior wood finish that is tough, abrasion-resistant, and levels out well when applied with a brush. Durability and brushability are most important. I’m interested in what other people are using and why you prefer that product instead of another. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I am looking for a clear or light amber transparent interior wood finish that is tough, abrasion-resistant, and levels out well when applied with a brush. Durability and brushability are most important. I’m interested in what other people are using and why you prefer that product instead of another. Thanks.

Behlens 4 hour rock hard varnish, can be brushed, sprayed, or wiped

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
I'll have to agree with chemmy.
I used it on my dining table and love it.
In time it turns yellow, but with the walnut top it's perfect rich color.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use Waterlox on a lot of my projects. It is very easy to apply. I just use a foam brush and it levels great. It leaves a satin finish after 3 or more coats and seems to be very durable. It has an amber tint, and will yellow a little over time. I usually apply 3 to 5 coats with 24 hours drying time in between.

I have also used Pratt & Lambert #38 brushing varnish. It is clearer than Waterlox after it dries and is a soya-based oil so the smell is a little better. It, too, is easy to brush on and levels well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Waterlox and Arm-R-Seal are your best bets for that. Waterlox dries really fast so for a brush on finish Arm-R-Seal may be what you need. It flows out well and has a long open time. Just curious, why is brush on non-negotiable?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reed Hockaday said:
You can mix Polyurathane and mineral spirits to make wipe on varnish.... 75/25 Poly will build quickly, 50/50 less quickly etc.... Or you can just by a wipe on varnish.... Either way, it is the easiest way to apply finish especially to large surfaces...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts