Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one love routers like I do. I been collecting them for a few years. They all serve a purpose. I hate changing bits in the middle of a project.
I use all of them on a daily basis. Especially when I do solid surface counters.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I need help, but I am thinking of buying the new Triton router for my table. I am sure that this will be the last one I need. MAYBE

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi!
We need the same help you do!
But...if you want to add to your addiction, check on ebay/CL for the 30 or so year vintage Stanley 262 Laminate Trimmer Set.
Small, powerful tilting base classic w/ lots of extras :thumbsup:!
Very sweet :yes:!
Best,
Marena and Vinny

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I've got a PC 690 dedicated to my router table. I use a 3 hp for big cutters. And one for all around work.

Looks like I need to pick up a few. I hate changing bits with a passion.

Anyone using one of those collets with the Allen screw?

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I like my routers. Not quite as much as you do though, I only have nine. Shopping for a Bosch MRC23 as soon as I can accumulate enough Franklins. Just dawned on me, I haven't got a Porter Cable in the bunch.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know I need help, but I am thinking of buying the new Triton router for my table. I am sure that this will be the last one I need. MAYBE
You'll like the Triton in your table, make sure to get the 3 1/4 hp, that's what I got. Plus, it can't hurt to have another router, just in case.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I took a luthier class with a guy in portland. He easily had 30 routers stashed about, and I wouldn't have been surprised if he had closer to 100. Since he came from a manufacturing background, once he had a router set up for a job, that was the routers job. If he needed a router to a different job, it was off to the store for a new router.

·
John
3,028 Posts
If you don't own a router with a full compliment of topside features, you're in for a treat. :thumbsup:
+1 here:thumbsup: Putting a Freud 3000 in my table made a world of difference.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I built a router table that holds the router under the top but it does not hang from the top. All I have to do is flip the top up and I can change the bit in a heart beat.

This has greatly increased my router work. No more fumbling around with the wrenches trying to get under the base.

Al

·
Registered
517 Posts
So, for those of us who WON'T be buying an ADDITIONAL router each time we need to change bits, what router accessories do you find the most useful?

Obviously, having the right bit for the right job is important. And having a router table (even a basic home-made router table) makes a world of difference.

So what other "accessories" do you need? A fence? A miter slot? Jigs?

·
John
3,028 Posts
So, for those of us who WON'T be buying an ADDITIONAL router each time we need to change bits, what router accessories do you find the most useful?

Obviously, having the right bit for the right job is important. And having a router table (even a basic home-made router table) makes a world of difference.

IMHO a fence is a must on a router table, otherwise all you have are bearinged bits or guide bushings for controlling the stock, anything else is optional. The only thing I use the miter slot for is a handy clamp for featherboards and jigs. Jigs I make on an "as needed" basis. :smile:

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
Well, love is a strong commitment. I try to keep them at arm's length, as they can be a bit possessive.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
i like what they can do, but i don't like the fine dust they spew into the air.

i have 2 routers. i don't use them or change bits enough to warrant having more. and i don't find it that painful to change the bit.

for a fence, i just use a straight 2x4 clamped to the top of my router table.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Grunkle Stan said:

Stan
IMHO Porter Cable 690 is one everyone should have. There is a mountain of accessories made for this router. Might also last forever.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
jschaben said:
IMHO a fence is a must on a router table, otherwise all you have are bearinged bits or guide bushings for controlling the stock, anything else is optional. The only thing I use the miter slot for is a handy clamp for featherboards and jigs. Jigs I make on an "as needed" basis. :smile:
I overlooked the usefulness of the miter slot when I built mine. But it's an on going project so who knows. Good point.

Al

1 - 19 of 19 Posts