Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for input from anybody who has experience as a jeweler, in ring making (Out of any material, professional or not), working with fine metals, etc.

I've been making a few wooden rings from veneer, and they're proving to be very fun, simple, quick, and rewarding little projects. Recently, however, I am really wanting to look into crafting an engagement ring (For obvious reasons ;) Help me out here!). I'll attach a few photos of some designs I really like. Thinking of mixing silver, wood, and some kind of stone.

So I'm just trying to figure out how I'd get started on a project like this.I have no experience working with metals or stones. Where do I start? Where do I go for materials? Any and all input is appreciated. I'm simply looking to build some connections with people who have experience, knowledge, or ideas to get this ball rolling!

(A couple rings I like the looks of. Would modify somewhere between the two)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...-9684-7bee9abf9d3c_1024x1024.jpg?v=1478037317

https://jewelrybyjohan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Moissanite-Wood-Wedding-Ring-Set-5_SKU2131.png

·
Generic Weeb
997 Posts
I used to turn wooden rings out of scrap for practice a while ago. Nothing anywhere near as fancy as those though.... They do look nice however

·
Registered
836 Posts
I once had a girlfriend make a ring. She started with a piece of wax that was sculpted into the shape of the ring. A mold is made around the wax, the wax is melted out and replaced with molten silver or gold. Then you file and smooth it.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Registered
713 Posts
When in college, 45 yrs ago, I took a silver quarter and sandwiched it in a vice between two smaller washers and peened the silver edge down over the washers into a flat ring all the way round. When I had the edge as round and flat as a ring, I used a coping saw with a metal cutting blade to cut out the center of the quarter, leaving a ring made of coin silver. Gave it to my then girlfriend. It was not nearly so fancy as a fine jewelry project, and was actually sort of crude. It took longer to make it than if I had worked those hours and purchased a ring from a regular jeweler. filing out the rough edges, and then polishing took a lot of work. There are You tube videos on how to do it now. A buddy once made some money turning wrist bangles out of wood on a wood lathe. Some times he would laminate several varied pieces of wood together. But back in the late 1960's and early 1970's many young people really liked that kind of craftsmanship and style.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently got married and through the process I did a lot of experimenting and research on making my own...my advice would be to turn or carve a solid ring or ring features, then go sit down with a professional jeweler and have them make the rest. Many mom and pop jewelers can custom order or make about anything you want, and there is a surprising amount of engineering that goes into it, so an old school craftsman jeweler would be your best reference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys! I am finding some info on some jewelers forums, and am hoping to connect with some local jewelers or the likes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts