Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as a few of you know I am fixing up an old Industrial factory cart/table conversion. You can check out the thread below.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/more-deep-cleaning-project-early-1900s-industrial-cart-51746/

It belonged to a painter and apart from covering it with paint and glue, it looks like there is some kind of chemical burn on the base, of the cart. It is VERY noticeable, and it is at probably a little less than a 1/4 of an inch at its deepest point.I am determined to finish it in the next day or so so I can put it up for sale, and give my GF her parking spot back.

Here are a couple pictures of the burn close up, look at the original thread if you want to see what it looks like from a distance.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
29,064 Posts
It looks like bleached spot to me also. What Cabinetman is suggesting is use a wood scraper and take the surface wood off to get down below the bleach spot. As bad as it looks it's probably not very deep into the wood. More than if you sanded less than a 1/32" off it would take the spot off. It would probably be easier for you to color back if you took the finish off the entire affected boards. That way the color wouldn't have to be so exact.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not just the color that's effected, it's actually indented, and deeper than it looks. And the dark slits are even deeper mini crevices.

I never considered flipping them over I would have to inspect the underside much better than I have. All of the boards are glued together pretty well so it would be tough.

Any way to fill the bleach marks with some form of putty or something? sand it down and dye it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.