Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eating all those burnt suppers paid off this year for me haha wife gave me a low angle jack plane and set of five bevel chisels from LN.

Anyone else get anything good?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I treated myself during the Jet clamp sale during black friday.

The wife came up big with a vertias router plane and a couple dmt diamond stones.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I bought myself some of those jet clamps too....so far I think I like the jorgensons better.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just opened the clamps today. So far I'm not impressdd with the jar movement. It is very sticky and the trigger has to be held in the middle of travel length.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
My complaints with that as well. I am considering selling them and buying jorgs

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Not for Christmas - technically - I treated myself to two Jet clamps during the Black Friday sale and then bought a Veritas Low Angle Smooth Plane on their Cyber Monday sale.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Edges vary from one bladesmith to another, even though they may "claim" that they are sharpened. Yeah, like: "how much/how well" sharpened?
Try the thing. How well, in your experience, does it cut what you need to do?

Me? Oh yeah. I got a handful of LV gift cards. Already planned to spend them 10X over.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I just opened the clamps today. So far I'm not impressdd with the jar movement. It is very sticky and the trigger has to be held in the middle of travel length.
You are being too kind! I'm really pissed with the movement, or should I say lack of movement. I'd advise everyone to pass on the Jet clamps for almost anything else.

Do hand planes ever come sharp or should you sharpen before using them?
Veritas and Lie Nielsen both ship planes with blades that are "sharp" but they both recommend honing for best performance.

The Veritas smooth plane I bought worked pretty darn good right out of the box, but it worked even better after a little bit of honing.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Man am I getting happy about missing out on those clamps, I almost bought some too, just forgot.
I have a veritas medium shoulder plane on it's way here, should receive it by this Friday :thumbsup:
And thanks to all who helped me with that choice!

·
7,222 Posts
Perhaps I am the only person who loves the Jet parallel clamps.

Happy if you want to send your new cast offs in my direction. ;)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Lee Valley did well this Christmas. I got the Bevel Up Smoother with PMV11 and an extra blade, the file jig for saw sharpening, By Hand and Eye, a shop clock and the new Veritas tenon saw set. Happy Happy happy.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Lee Valley did well this Christmas. I got the Bevel Up Smoother with PMV11 and an extra blade, the file jig for saw sharpening, By Hand and Eye, a shop clock and the new Veritas tenon saw set. Happy Happy happy.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the saw file holder. I saw that on the web site a while back and almost bought it. I've got a couple of gift cards and was thinking about sending Lee Valley a little more Christmas money:smile:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wow some of you guys racked up :). Now we need to see all these new hand tools in action. What are yall waiting for make some shavings!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts