Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The middle pic, both pieces from same pallet. Piece on left is skid, piece on right is from top flat of pallet. They don't smell like cider and they have a red tinge to them, almost look like redwood. The top pic, they have almost a sweet smell to them and the pic doesn't do it justice. I was very excited at how nicethey looked. I sanded down all of them to get a better look and put water on them to get a better look at the grain.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
The top picture, the two boards left look like hickory and the one on the right looks like bodark. The center picture looks like fir. The last picture looks like beech to me.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
I didn't know they made pallets from hickory.. very cool. :laughing:
Sometimes it's difficult to tell what kind of wood a tree will yield until it's cut and they grade the lumber and best wood goes to lumber companies and what is left over sell it for pallets and crates. You can find most any wood used in a pallet. I've seen pallets with a couple of walnut boards in it.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
I've seen pallets of Luan Plywood, (relative low grade wood) come out of the jungles of Brazil on pallets made from Rosewood, Purpleheart, etc.
The guys with the chainsaws use anything but the Luan for pallets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts