Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
where do I start, Is there anyone from Ireland on that can recommend a good place to buy good hardwood at a good price, I'm from the Kildare region.
Also what pocket hole jig is the best to buy, I was looking at the k5 or one of the trends.
and finally what do you look for in a planer thicknesser or do you purchase separate, we're looking at a small to medium unit.
thanks
Damo1970

·
Super Moderator
4,079 Posts
hi Damo and welcome to the forum !!
what have you done on your own so far to try to find wood in your area ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,
Not too much really, I have a full time job and the woodworking has been progressing slowly over the past few years, I have most of the tools but really need the ones mentioned, I may also need tuition, I'm not saying I hate my work but I know I can do better with a better understanding of all types of woods and their different compositions, coupled with the all important finishing.

·
Super Moderator
4,079 Posts
my advice for finding wood is to go out and look around.
check your social listings like craigslist and facebook marketplace (if you have it).
check your Box Stores, lumber yards,. visit some carpenter places like cabinet shops, etc.
do the leg work - put in the time.
the majority of members here are in the USA, Canada and some in the UK.
I don't remember seeing anyone here from Ireland.

good luck !!

Reactions: Damien1970

·
That Guy
379 Posts
Hi Damien

I found local hardwood through the yellow pages under "Lumber". It was a little intimidating buying from a large lumber yard but they turned out to be very friendly.

For dressing the rough cut lumber I bought an old used 6" jointer on Craigslist and then a new thickness planer from the local Lowes. I don't know what you've got for hardware or tool stores where you live. The last time I was in Ireland I spent all my time in Dublin and saw mostly the insides of pubs.

Do me a favour and drink a nice fresh Guinness for me tonight, I had no idea my whole life how much better it tasted close to where it is brewed. I can get it here but it's not nearly as tasty.

Good luck with the woodworking!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Damo. I did a quick google search and this can up in Dublin. I don’t know how far that is from you.

Here is another one:

This one is in Kildare and looks to be more of a specialty supplier:

·
johnep
2,090 Posts
Ireland not famous for forests and most timber imported and expensive. Regarding different woods seracg Google on relative hardness of woods. In UK, Oak and Beech most used for strength.
Also search Utube.
johnep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts