Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
twingall1
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a tripod table, late C19th.. Looks like fruitwood to me but i'm far from confident of that even- any ideas?

Many Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
26,645 Posts
I know how this is going to sound but it looks like Honduras Mahogany to me. The dark reddish color normally associated with mahogany furniture is artificial. This one just looks like it was finished natural and that with some sun bleaching has brought it to that color.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I know how this is going to sound but it looks like Honduras Mahogany to me. The dark reddish color normally associated with mahogany furniture is artificial. This one just looks like it was finished natural and that with some sun bleaching has brought it to that color.
I agree-looks like one of the mahogany species.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Steve-- The reddish mahogany color may be artificial in many cases today, but at one time it was real. Could be a difference in species, but I agree that mahogany bought today often is more of a salmony color. I lucked into a load of salvage mahogany over 100 years old. The pic below shows some of it. The actual color is even a little redder than the pic shows--it's almost a burgundy color all the way through, not just on the surface. The finish on the doors is a plain tung/varnish mix.

When I ran out of the old stuff, I had to try to match the color with new wood. I got very close with a dilute lye treatment.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I too would suggest that it is Cuban or Honduran mahogany. Those were prevalent and reasonably priced woods in the late 1800's. Old wood is difficult to identify.

·
Registered
26,645 Posts
Steve-- The reddish mahogany color may be artificial in many cases today, but at one time it was real. Could be a difference in species, but I agree that mahogany bought today often is more of a salmony color. I lucked into a load of salvage mahogany over 100 years old. The pic below shows some of it. The actual color is even a little redder than the pic shows--it's almost a burgundy color all the way through, not just on the surface. The finish on the doors is a plain tung/varnish mix.

When I ran out of the old stuff, I had to try to match the color with new wood. I got very close with a dilute lye treatment.

Mahogany is like any other wood, it can vary in color a great deal depending on the region it's cut. I still get some from time to time that is very dark but most of it is light. My comments about the artificial color was because I noticed twingall1's avatar and expected their experience with mahogany was with antiques which were more often than not heavily stained and dyed with aniline dyes to achieve the deep red color.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
+1 on that ... grain definitely looks exactly like mahogany

1 - 7 of 7 Posts