Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what wood

THat looks good and that was along the lines of what I was thinking, I was alos considering Milk paint and ebonizing. Would you glaze after you apply your die? and what would you put on as a top coat.

So what type of wood would you use if it is being painted. It is going to be cornor bench and a breakfast table frame (the top will not be black). Since it is a bench I wanted it to be fairly hard so I was thinking maple since it is about the same cost as poplar. I guess pine would be the proper choice but I would hate for it to get dinged up in mormal use....

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I recommended the black aniline dye if you use wood and wanted it black with the woodgrain showing. It works great on grainy woods such as Red Oak. For a finish, you could use an oil base polyurethane, or a water based polyurethane.

If you plan to just have a painted finish, use black paint on Poplar. It would be easier to machine than Maple.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks for the great advice. I went out and bought some stain and some latex to experiment with. I found the stain to look horrible on the maple and the latex to look good. I sanded the edges for that worn look but the wood underneith was too bright. I think I will undercoat the black with what ever color I do the table top in so when I sand through it does not look so bright.

The reason I was thinking maple was because of the wear and tear on a kitchen bench.... but if you think poplar can hold up I wiuld rather use it.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts