Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took the time to make the bottom finder.
Some of you may not have seen them. It just takes a laser pointer and whatever scrap you have around.
Just slide in into the bowl and the laser will mark the outside at the exact depth of the interior. It pic has a lot of red due to the camera, in reality it is just a red dot.
I used threaded rod so I can adjust them easily. I may slide them back to about 8” deep as I have never turned anything over 6-8” deep anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is genius!

Maybe there is a genius out there somewhere,….it isn’t me.

I may have added the threaded rod instead of a dowel. Some I saw had dowels but there may have been one with the rods. The rods allow fine tuning of the beam and head replacement when the laser dies.

I haven’t turned a funnel (yet) but I do tend to leave the bottom thicker than it needs to be. It should also help in following Grumbines advice on leaving the bottom thinner when roughing out so the blank dries more evenly.
I’m sure Grumbine has had one for quite a while…when was his DVD made? This looked a lot easier than fiddling with sliding dowels to take a measurement. Just insert into anything and that’s it, no adjustment/measuring necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts