Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine used to fell trees and mill them into lumber with his band mill. Years ago he gave me some wood he'd harvested and I'm having trouble identifying what this one is. Unfortunately, my friend is no longer with us to ask him.

The color is reddish brown with cream colored highlights. Grain is similar to cocobolo. It was obviously a small tree, the plank is about 4-1/2" wide by 4 ft. Very hard and heavy. Planed surface has a natural sheen. I chopped off a foot long chunk and there was no distinguishing smell.

It would have been grown here in Connecticut (Southern New England). Someone suggested Dogwood, but that is usually much lighter colored. Any ideas?

TIA

·
Registered
131 Posts
It'd be an oddity, but it kinda reminds me of Redbud. The Walnut I'm used to seeing has pretty regular growth rings, and this varies a lot, kinda like Elm (just the ring patterns). Redbud does that too, and if I remember from when I did arboristry, it has the sheen you're talking about too.

Acer

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after searching the wood ID sites I've decided that this is something I bought a dozen years ago and it somehow ended up on my "air dry for 5 years before use" rack, along with the wood that my friend gave me. Nothing domestic seems to come close. I'm semi convinced it's Kingwood. It's destined to be a mallet head.

Thanks for the inputs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts