Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to make the fence for my router table. Not sure exactly what projects I'll be using the table for, so not looking for a "project specific" fence. I'm looking at the New Yankee Workshop split fence design (for which I already have plans). My only concern is that the "T" slot for featherboards, etc. is too high for the Rockler fence featherboards I plan on using.

I know there are about as many opinions on this subject as there are posters on this Forum - but I'd still like some feedback on the NYW fence design - pros and cons. Also, how to work around the fence "T" slot being too high for my featherboards - 1/4" plywood extension piece? Other?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just make your own split fence sliders. Pieces of T track on both sides, where you want them. I've made a few for one of my tables, however having had router tables of one design or other since 1965, I still prefer a hi-low fence. On another table I use it as is, or bolt on a ZCI for special bits as needed.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Getting ready to make the fence for my router table. Not sure exactly what projects I'll be using the table for, so not looking for a "project specific" fence. I'm looking at the New Yankee Workshop split fence design (for which I already have plans). My only concern is that the "T" slot for featherboards, etc. is too high for the Rockler fence featherboards I plan on using.

I know there are about as many opinions on this subject as there are posters on this Forum - but I'd still like some feedback on the NYW fence design - pros and cons. Also, how to work around the fence "T" slot being too high for my featherboards - 1/4" plywood extension piece? Other?

go here and join the http://www.routerforums.com/ it is all about router's and anything you want to know about router's and tables ect best ever, been a member for yrs, lot's of fellow's with lot's of information del

·
John
3,028 Posts

The easy way would be to see if the Milescraft featherboards will work.
I've got both the Milescraft and the Rockler featherboards and the Milescraft are significantly longer. I'm not particularly impressed with the curved slots, makes large adjustments somewhat convoluted but otherwise they work as well as the Rocklers and on smaller, narrower stock, the Rocklers wont always reach.
If that isn't an option, my next suggestion would be bladeburners.:smile:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I've reviewed the info you guys provided. I'm going to build the base for the fence per the NYW plan. Then make split fence pieces to fit various jobs. I'll start out with making split fence pieces with a "T" slot of a height that will accommodate my Rockler featherboards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.