Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wood Is Wonderful.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

This is my first post. I just was gifted a 1961 Craftsman 10" TS with the original fence. The internet is exploding with people hating this fence. I can see why. I haven't tried zeroing the fence/blade in but is this thing going to be worth my time? I don't have the woodchips to afford a new fence. Can I make straight cuts that are safe with this saw? No blade guard, no splitter, 3 hp motor on 110V. I hear I should get a V-Link and a better pulley but I'm not sure.

I'll post a pic when I get it cleaned up.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The fence can be made to work, but it's finnicky and inconsistent. Link belts are great if your stock v-belt has a set or a deviation that causes thumping, but it's not something I'd pursue for no reason if you're short on cash. There's a guy on Ebay who sells serpentine belt kits that are a good cheaper alternative to link belt/new pulleys.

A decent blade is a must or the saw won't perform well.

Even a basic shop made splitter is better than nothing...helps prevent kickback.

·
Wood Is Wonderful.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of blade should I get? How many teeth etc.? I will be cutting mostly hardwoods with some cheap plywood and such. In fact I have a 60 tooth carbine brand new that came with the saw.

any tutorials on creating a splitter?

Edit: I just looked through your sig. Thanks for the blade help.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
As stated, the fence can be used if you take your time and set it up correctly each time you use.

You are responsible for safety. If you make an extra effort to use the saw safely it can be used safely.

George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts