Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if making mistakes is the way to learn I should be getting my diploma in the mail any day now. I'm building Norm Abrahams chest of drawers. I got so caught up in how to cut my rabbits and dados I didn't think. Now I have two very well made right sides. :laughing: Last night I went to Lowes and shelled out more money and with a little work I'm now back to where I thought I was yesterday. Hopefully later today with some chisle work I'll be able to dry fit the frames and sides. Can't really start the drawers untill I buy a planer but that's ok, I can built the base till then.

·
Registered
629 Posts
WHAT? You made a mistake?:blink:
I guess that we'll have to disable your access to this site. Nobody here EVER made a mistake/mis-cut/screw-up, blah, blah. Now that ya have your full membership, 'fess up to the other stuff.:laughing:
I hope ya know that I'm jerkin' your chain.:yes:
Bill

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I always say a craftsman is someone who knows how to hide his mistakes but there are times we need a miracle worker or a new piece of wood. Yes... I've had those times... and probably will again...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a positive note I'm taking the side that was wrong and putting it aside and will use it to make my next chest of drawers. I'm making the first one for my Daughter and plan on making a second one for my son. I'm sure the second one will only take a 10th of the time.:thumbsup:

·
Procrastinator (For now.)
142 Posts
A lot of years ago I worked with a Jewish man who was a cabinet maker with a lot of years of experience. One day I made a mistake and he saw how angry I was with myself. He said to me: "It's only a mistake if you can't fix it." I love that man. Thanks Harry Katz.

·
Banned
615 Posts
I tend to be more proud of myself for correcting or hiding mistakes than for not making them. In my garage, mistakes are inevitable.
Yes exactly. When you show off the finished product, and you're wife says "wow!" I'm thinking to myself, well this should have been like this, and this has a patch in it, and next time...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mistakes in woodworking are like mistakes in many other endeavors. When things don't go according to plan, it is good to remember that most of the "audience" does not know that things were "supposed" to be different than they are.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Well if making mistakes is the way to learn I should be getting my diploma in the mail any day now. I'm building Norm Abrahams chest of drawers. I got so caught up in how to cut my rabbits and dados I didn't think. Now I have two very well made right sides. :laughing: Last night I went to Lowes and shelled out more money and with a little work I'm now back to where I thought I was yesterday. Hopefully later today with some chisle work I'll be able to dry fit the frames and sides. Can't really start the drawers untill I buy a planer but that's ok, I can built the base till then.
I learned early on to mark my parts. I would spend a lot of time...maybe days on the table saw just cutting up all the parts. Pretty soon, there are stacks of cabinet ends, dividers, floors, shelves, door parts, drawer parts. It's so easy to get confused as to what is what. Then when you think you are done, you find some blanks on the bench that you have to figure out if they are parts or just pieces.:laughing:

·
Procrastinator (For now.)
142 Posts
Mistakes can be a good opportunity to say: "I just have to buy a ____________________________ (fill in the blank) and this wont happen again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mistake vs. Lesson

Thanks for sharing! I'll be cutting dados soon for the first time and I will definitely keep your "mistake" in mind. Actually, I think it's a lesson when you goof up the first time...its only fair to call it a mistake if you repeat it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.