Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished running this through the planer - looks like some spalting, but the species eludes me...was supposed to be pine. :no:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
WAG- cottonwood-willow- Is it lightweight.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I can't tell - maybe a picture of the end grain??? I'm not familiar with the above mentioned woods...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't look like Pine. It doesn't look like it was planed very deep. It appears that there is some finish on the board.

No finish, just came off the planer. Surface was a dark grey weathered look before planing. Will try to cut the end off one and get a picture of the end grain later. Planed from 1" to 3/4"+.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick shot of the end grain - cut off with planer blade, hit the right end with a little sandpaper. Not real smooth, will get picture of it well sanded later.

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Looks similar to some old pallet wood I planed down for my carved end tables I did awhile back.
Almost think its ash, but not sure.

image-3727325208.jpg

image-4045719180.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I just got done doing some work with old birch planking and it had that kind of look. These boards were over 50 yrs old and had the same graining

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These were boards pulled out of the cellar of a 100+ year old house - no idea how long they had been there. they were stacked up for shelving, but not nailed or screwed down. Thought they were all pine, 4 out of the 5 were different, the last was pine. They were all a dark grey before planing. Currently stored in the garage workshop awaiting a project that needs some pretty grained wood (and warm weather). :smile:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the same weather problem here. I'll try to see if any of the boards I was talking about are still around. They were gray like you said as well, and very light.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Found this on google, called cypress picklewood. Lapped siding. Looks close, but I'm not an expert by any means.

100 years ago you said, do cypress trees even grow in your area? It was probably local would be my guess.

P1016404.jpg

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
either one of those is probably more likely than cypress. Which trees are more prevalent in the area you found them?
Pennsylvania is (was) pretty well blessed with a plethora of different wood, including cypress, ash, oak, walnut, cherry, and until the blight hit, chestnut and elm. Forestry dept says 162 native species.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts