Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the easel I made for the WFC. I used some poplar that I had around. It still needs to be finished, but it will have to wait till after work travel this week. The travel gives me some time to research the paint. The easel is going to my daughter for christmas. Everything she has is white and I would like for it to match, well everything. The latex paint I used for her bed didn't turn out so good. It dirtys up easily and is a pain to clean. I was looking into to put a poly top coat, but read that you have to let latex paint dry for 4-6 weeks? Any suggestions?

Easel Furniture Table Plywood Wood

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Just a thought. There is a white colored stain. Then you could top coat that with clear shellac after about 12 hours of drying time. Shellac is my go to finish for anything I make for kids. Not because its such a good finish but because they can eat it with no bad effects. We all eat shellac on M&M's, Reese Pieces, some fruits and vegetables, and even on some medications. If its shiny, its probably coated with shellac.

Nice job on your easel. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Nice easel and idea. I may have to borrow that one for my own kid. Johnnie, thanks for mentioning food safe finishes and kids toys - something I hadn't really thought about before. After you posted, the google led me to a Fine Woodworking article that's online.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts