Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas what a guy could make out of this head board. My mom gave it to me saying she wants me to make my daughter and niece something out of it. She managed to lose the foot board of the bed a while ago. It is around 80 years old or more. My grandfather used it when he was a child and is solid maple. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The only dumb questions are the ones never asked.
I've seen some of the folks I know make nice benches or Deacon/Preacher seat type furniture with headboards.
Dave H

Reactions: Duncancruiser

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Nice Bench with some relief carving on the top to make it POP

Reactions: Duncancruiser

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe a couple jewelry boxes for the girls?
You should make the girls keepsakes like jewelry boxes or hand held mirrors. The bench idea is nice but there is probably only one bench in the head board. I wish people that respond would read the OP.

It is a wonderful old piece and your mom wants to do something very nice with it. Think about what the girls could grow into and have forever

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
If you have a lathe you cod do segmented bowls. Otherwise, some keepsake boxes with maybe other woods for accent pieces. You could make picture frames for photos of the kids with grandparents.

I would focus on items that can be easily handed down to future generations. Heirloom gifts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I ran them all by my mom and wife and we all agree on keepsake boxes. I'll keep you all updated as I get going. Might take me a couple days to get started. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you own a scroll saw, there are many designs you can make for the lid. Here is a hanging picture frame made from 1 piece of wood. I've made several of these and the nice thing about them is that you can customize the designs.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts