Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was fooling around with some walnut the other day and I didn't have enough of the heart wood to do what I wanted to so I flipped the top upside down and just embraced it. I like it a lot. The splines are cherry but now that I've seen the heartwood and sapwood together I think next time I'll make the splines to match.

I did the wipe on satin poly again. 6 coats this time. I think I got better results then last time. Allready looking forward to the next one.

Brian

walnut sapwood 051_cr.jpg

walnut sapwood 054_cr.jpg

walnut sapwood 055_cr.jpg

walnut sapwood 056_cr.jpg

·
Registered
537 Posts
I really like the curved top to the box. That makes it even more interesting! I'm really trying to figure out how you get the flat ledge part to support the lid with all the curves on top...Unless you're adding the curves after rabbeting the ledge???

Curious how you do it if you're willing to share your secret!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You nailed it. I make the curve after the rabbet.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
:thumbsup:Brian,
Another nice job. I really like these boxes you make, nice detail and good use of contrasting wood. Looks like a great Christmas gift for some lucky gal.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks guys. Something pretty cool happened recently with these little boxes. A woman found my site and wants me to make a slightly larger one as a wedding gift for her son next fall. She asked to have their name engraved on the front.

This should be fun and interesting seeing how a larger one will look. She wants inside dimensions of 11x7x4. I could probably fit three or four dovetails on the corners or 2 bigger dovetails. Not sure but I think I'll make a few more larger ones first and post them up and let her pick which ones she likes.

Take care guys

Brian

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
First-time dovetail splines

Brian, those boxes are fantastic! And, I love the dovetail splines. I've been curious how everyone makes those cuts. I viewed the link on Texas Timbers posts for the really nice jig but I didn't really want to spend the money for it. So, I made my own and used it for the first time this past weekend. Mine holds the box on edge while I push it across the router table. I'm not a real craftsman and my box isn't as nice as yours but my jig worked fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That box looks great! Its a fun joint to make, no? I really dresses up almost anything. You can use the same idea with the table saw and really make some neat corners with it. Even combine the two.

Nice job

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,372 Posts
Okay, I have to admit, that I'm almost embarrassed to ask this :blush:, but that is what this forum is all about. How are the dovetail splines done. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? An explanation or maybe a link as to how to go about it. I think that they are really nice looking and wouldn't mind giving it a try. :help:
Thanks
Ken

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Okay, I have to admit, that I'm almost embarrassed to ask this :blush:, but that is what this forum is all about. How are the dovetail splines done. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? An explanation or maybe a link as to how to go about it. I think that they are really nice looking and wouldn't mind giving it a try. :help:
Thanks
Ken
You asked, so here's a couple pics of my new, super delux, dovetail corner spline cutting jig. Just hold the box on the jig and the jig against the fence. Cutting the notches is a breeze. Then cut the splines on the table saw - 14 degrees (standard dovetail bit angle), smear on some glue, tap 'em in, and sand 'em flush.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That about sums it up. On my other cherry boxes I just took two passes to get a bigger dovetail. By flipping the box it also centers itself.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Kenbo,
don't feel bad. I was wondering the same thing about the time I was reading your question. :laughing::blush::confused1::icon_redface::nerd:
Mike Hawkins

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,372 Posts
Kenbo,
don't feel bad. I was wondering the same thing about the time I was reading your question. :laughing::blush::confused1::icon_redface::nerd:
Mike Hawkins
Just goes to show you that some things that look extremely complicated are so simple. I had visions of compound cutting and some form of 1/2 blind dovetail jig. Shows what I know.:laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts