Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this and would appreciate some advice. I am starting to plan a coffee table probably out of oak. The table size being about 63x115cm (approx. 25x45 inches). I have not looked for the wood yet, but imagine making the top out of 2x6 inch boards 45 inches long glued together. My guess is that the table top will be 5 boards wide before trimming.
1) Can I just surface the edges of the boards, glue and clamp? Will that be strong enough or should I learn to dowel the boards together or pocket screws and glue or other? I have not thought out the design of the base yet, but I can plan it with crosswise supports.
2) Surfacing the edges: I do not have a table saw. My thoughts are to surface both edges of each board on a router table. I don't know that I can get both edges of a single board perfectly parallel with only a router table, but I don't think that it's a problem for a table top of the same wood that is not contoured with anything else.
I plan to buy a Kreg Accu Cut guide track for my circular saw, but will be surprised if this will help here.
So in short, you have a beginner here with beginner's language and a little bit of experience. Your shared wisdom will be so appreciated.
Best,
Mo

·
Registered
180 Posts
For what it is worth, here is how I would approach it with a router. I make a perfectly straight template board, mdf would be fine. After surfacing your stock I would mount the template edge to your stock leaving the stock overhanging approximately 1/8". With a ball bearing pattern bit, guide the bit on the template edge cutting the stock flush. I would use the largest diameter bit I can get hold of, around 1 to 1-1/2" diameter would be great. Mark what side the pattern was on with an arrow. Continue and do the other boards. When you put it together, alternate up and down arrows to allow for any out of vertical of your router. I would not use a router table as the fence is too short and it requires you to hold the board consistently flat on the table, and against the fence. Too complicated.

·
Mo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scenario with saw guide

Would you use the accu cut guide for one edge or both edges of the board?
What are the parameters of a good saw blade for this project?
Is gluing without dowels/pocket screws enough?
Thank you.

·
Mo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B Coll,
Are you telling me to do the same on both edges of each board? After doing so I should turn every other board over to mirror any vertical out?
Your opinion on need for dowels or screws?
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
836 Posts
B Coll,

Are you telling me to do the same on both edges of each board? After doing so I should turn every other board over to mirror any vertical out?

Your opinion on need for dowels or screws?

Thanks very much.

No dowels or screws needed. If this is your first time, I suggest you glue only one joint at a time rather than gluing all five boards at once.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You may get a good enough surface you'll just have to try it. It depends on the quality of your saw and blade. I suggest using a new blade with at least 40 teeth and go slowly and carefully as any wobble or changes in pressure will be reflected into the cut.

If the edges need to be dressed, it can be done with a flush trim bit and a straight edge. IMO this is best done by hand, not on a router table because if there is any bowing or twist, the router is registered against the board. The factory edge of plywood or MDF will work.

I don't normally use alignment aids for a panel glue up. My method is to apply increment clamping pressure correcting any discrepancies with finger pressure or tapping or with a rubber hammer.

If there any bowing present, I will usually use either biscuits or Dominos for alignment.

I would recommend you get a couple hand planes: a #4 and #6. These two planes will be very useful for you, relieve a lot of headache with procedures like this, and, the sound and sight of wood shavings really make you feel like a craftsman!!

·
johnep
1,978 Posts
I made a circular saw guide from instructions in the forum. Enabled me to make a kitchen cabinet.
johnep

·
Mo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dr. Robert,
I had never considered hand planes and don't know how to use them. The idea is actually appealing. I see them mentioned often enough on these forums to guess that they are still valid this day and age. I'll look at a few YouTubes to get a better idea of what they can do. I have always assumed that it is a tool of a serious craftsman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts