Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just applied some water based aniline dye to a tiger maple table and came out with some lap marks even though was careful. Is there any way to blend in the marks with a diluted portion of dye or would this make things worse ? Any other ways to blend it in short of resanding down to bare wood ?
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
You might take a damp cloth and wipe the entire surface to even out the color. If you take too much color off you could re-apply it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looked pretty good when I applied it and I did wipe it down then with water. The table is dry now and I see some semi streaks that I tried to wipe out with more water and did pick up some dye. So, maybe when I put on the oil it will all blend.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts

It looked pretty good when I applied it and I did wipe it down then with water. The table is dry now and I see some semi streaks that I tried to wipe out with more water and did pick up some dye. So, maybe when I put on the oil it will all blend.
Adding oil will not create a blending of colors or intensities. Having a water wet rag handy when applying the dye, and wiping the overlap, helps to minimize the overlapping. Adding more dye, even as a thinned mix could change the color.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, having a wet rag handy to help blend while applying I think will be the ticket next time. I use a couple of small sponges one with dye one damp with water but the edge of the sponge kind of created a line. There seems to be a little learning curve here. Next time less stress, less mess, much mo better.:yes:

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
I am assuming you are using a water based dye stain since you are wiping with water. The trick to applying dye stain is to wet the entire surface evenly first. If you are spraying that is all you have to do, if you are applying with a rag it is critical to wet the entire top and then wipe off excess with the grain as much as possible. Most people try to do small sections and that gets you into trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts