Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to draw a baby bed...I need the front leg to be shorter than the back, but the top rails on the ends of the bed to be the same distance from the top of the leg. Also, all the slats will have to be angled on the top. How do I incorporate this into my drawing?
Thanks, Greg

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I'm trying to draw a baby bed...I need the front leg to be shorter than the back, but the top rails on the ends of the bed to be the same distance from the top of the leg. Also, all the slats will have to be angled on the top. How do I incorporate this into my drawing?
Thanks, Greg
When you say "draw", do you mean pencil and paper draw, or a CAD, like Sketchup?

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Not trying to talk you out of Sketchup, but have you tried a full size drawing?

You can pick up a roll of the brown or white wrapping paper, it's like 30" or 36" wide. Draw a view of a side, or front full size...1:1. Draw in all the pieces as they will be made, and use dotted lines when one piece enters another, or gets fitted to (joint). In doing this, you have a pattern, that you can cut parts and fit them to the pattern. This also allows you to plan your joinery better.

·
Sketchup teacher
51 Posts
A starting point for Sketchup

Thanks, Greg
Hmmm. I think I understand what you're trying to do, but forgive me if I misinterpret your design. I just posted a getting started tutorial that you should read. It shows you how to draw a table, which has a lot of similar components to a baby bed.

http://www.mastersketchup.com/sketch...e-in-sketchup/
I can give you a few pointers:
-Always use groups. So each leg should be a group, each rail should be a group, etc.
-When the rail is in a group, you can select it, and use the rotate tool to rotate it at an angle.
-To angle the ends of the slats, open up the group they are in, and use the line tool to create a vertical line on the rail where you want to "cut" it. Then use the Push/Pull tool to push the part you don't need anymore.

Hope that makes sense. It's hard to explain without visuals. You should find some good info on my website though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts