Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
No, I use a standard drill but an awful lot of people I know use one of those and they really like them. I am still thinking about getting one but my standard drill has served me well for many many years.
I did buy one of the pneumatic oscillating sanders but can't use it until I get my new (to me) larger compressor installed. It has a 90 degree head and is far smaller however I'll have to learn to put up with that annoying Dental tool wine it makes.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I also just use a regular drill. Black and decker corded from the outlet center, $14. Has lasted 9 years so far.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I went through about 4 of the cheapie black and decker drills before I bought a $60 Dewalt. I've used it for about 8 years now. Funny thing is Black and Decker and Dewalt are the same company. Definitely different quality however.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I bought Vince's angle sander a couple of years ago. It burned up in a few weeks and Vince did not stand behind it. I really liked using it and searched for similar products but kept finding what appears to be the same drill sold under different names. Sometimes it's blue and sometimes it's red. I found one for $38 on Amazon this summer and decided to risk it. So far so good. I'm using a 5" disk holder so that has got to be pretty hard on it but no troubles yet. Functionally and ergonomically it's great. Even with the big disk I can hold the sander/drill in one hand which allows me to steady the bowl with the other if I'm working on a trouble spot with the lathe off. Hopefully my first one was just a lemon. Also, in fairness, I spend a slightly less absurd amount of time sanding than I did 2 years ago:).

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
there have been a lot of discussions about the angled drills going bad. Even the high dollar Milwauki. That and the fact that my standard drill is still holding up is why I don't have one yet. Ergonomically they feel better to use and a lot of people like them. Just be aware that you need to blow them out very regularly to keep them running. At least that seems to work according to all I've read.
He is right in that all of them I see look like they come from the same factory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts