Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Okay, as a novice, I'm wondering whether you scroll these after turning or before? Actually that seems like a silly question considering I have no idea how you'd do it before without having a symmetric pattern, but it's out there now so...

·
Registered
912 Posts
John, I for one would like a little more info on how you did these. Are the wings flat and then how did you attach them? I seem to remember someone turning what amounted to a small bowl and then cutting the wings from them but I don't remember for sure. Anyway very nice work and I would be interested to find out more. Thanks for sharing.

John

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are two ways to do the wings. The way I learned is you drill two holes for the bottom of the wings. Then turn a shallow thin bowl with a tenon on the bottom to glue into a hole on the back of the ornament. Then you carve away the rest.
I find it difficult to get a really clean cut with the holes already there so I turn the bowl and then use either a jewelers saw, coping saw or scroll saw to cut out the wing shape.
You can see how the wings are attached in this photo.
To turn the angel I simply mount a block in the chuck with the head toward the headstock. I turn most of the skirt leaving the head and neck area thick. Then hollow the inside. Then I turn the rest of the neck and head leaving just a very tiny tenon on the head to be turned away later.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
John,
Those are pretty cool. How tall are they and are they light enough to hang on a tree? Did you do the piercings with a dremel or dentist drill?
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are 4" tall and very light. I center drill them with a 3/8" drill to speed up the hollowing. After doing a few I decided to drill up into the head area as well which helps reduce the weight but isn't really needed.
I use a Dremel because it's all I have and it's very hard to control. The rpm's just aren't high enough and it wants to follow the grain. It took about 45 minutes to pierce this and I had to take breaks about every 15. With a Dental drill it would have taken about 10 to 15 minutes and is like writing with a pen. I just don't have $400 to spare on tool that I would seldom use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts