Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a newbie woodworker and I'm going to attempt to make an andirondack chair with one of those actual size blue prints that I got from Better Homes and Gardens mail order. Question about the actual size blue prints, do I actually cut out the pieces from the blue prints and use each piece to trace on the actual stock?

My first question is, what is a good stable wood to make the chair out of? Please list a couple of different woods please. Where I live the wood choices a limited. I live in a moist climate year round. What is the best finish for outdoor chairs that will last the longest?

Finally, what are some tools to use to make my life a little easier when I start to build this chair.

Thanks for any information given.

chrisusvi

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hello,

I am a newbie woodworker and I'm going to attempt to make an andirondack chair with one of those actual size blue prints that I got from Better Homes and Gardens mail order. Question about the actual size blue prints, do I actually cut out the pieces from the blue prints and use each piece to trace on the actual stock?

My first question is, what is a good stable wood to make the chair out of? Please list a couple of different woods please. Where I live the wood choices a limited. I live in a moist climate year round. What is the best finish for outdoor chairs that will last the longest?

Finally, what are some tools to use to make my life a little easier when I start to build this chair.

Thanks for any information given.

chrisusvi
Welcome Aboard!

I would NOT destroy your blueprints... I WOULD trace them and go from there to make patterns out of 1/4" MDF.

Then, I would use the patterns to mark, rough-cut to about 1/8" from lines (probably using a band saw), and, using carpet tape to mount pattern onto workpiece, cut to final shape using a router & a flush-trim bit (bit bearing rolling on the pattern for final cut). Patterns MUST be sanded smooth, etc.

From here, you can make 2 or 10 or 20, etc. from your set of patterns!

Cedar, Cypress, & Redwood I think are the most common... Mohogany, Teak, etc. for the elite...

This may help you a little... Look for "Chairs"...
http://www.woodworkstuff.net/woodidxfun.html

For large people, look at Jake's Chair... in the link given...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts