Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am working on three projects simultaneously now and also rehabbing a house... Busy, busy...

Went to Willard Brothers near Trenton NJ today. They really have a nice selection of slabs and are reasonably priced - dimensional lumber, I get better pricing at Hearnes but at least I have a good slab provider now.

So, the lighter colored one is for a client and the darker colored one I bought for myself to make a new coffee table to replace the one I just sold (offer I couldn't refuse).

The lighter one is 54" long x 31" at the max and the darker one is 60" long x 29" max.

I am really excited to begin the one for my client. I'm holding off my excitement for my personal one as I am too busy to make anything for myself right now.

Attachments

·
Senior Something
1,115 Posts
I'd keep the dark one for myself too. Nice figure to it. I curious about your leg design (I'll wait and see) because I have a flitch (sp?) that I want to make into a coffee table and the design has me stumped.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
I just did one from black walnut (top one) that looks near identical, even in size. The coffee table is now in my living room, awaiting to go into the art gallery (where I have a few pieces now).
After cut down in size and shaped it came out to ~27" wide x 49" long. I use epoxy to pop the grains and color, and make the wood bulletproof and later top coat with wb poly to set the sheen I like.

It will be an interesting build, Gideon .

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'd keep the dark one for myself too. Nice figure to it. I curious about your leg design (I'll wait and see) because I have a flitch (sp?) that I want to make into a coffee table and the design has me stumped.
That's a great pun...stumped. That's what I would do. Find some interesting stumps, or a good size single that can be supportive.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just did one from black walnut (top one) that looks near identical, even in size. The coffee table is now in my living room, awaiting to go into the art gallery (where I have a few pieces now).
After cut down in size and shaped it came out to ~27" wide x 49" long. I use epoxy to pop the grains and color, and make the wood bulletproof and later top coat with wb poly to set the sheen I like.

It will be an interesting build, Gideon .

Do you have photos???

·
Registered
656 Posts
Your coffee table looks fantastic. Like the tapered three legs which really fit to the irregular shape of the beautiful slab. Great job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts