Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my partner's young (30) son lost his fight last Friday. Knowing he wished to be cremated, I had offered to make an urn in the past, but never had feedback until his wife mentioned it (friday) had to go into into quick - but safe- mode the past few days/nights.
Voila! Mesquite about 12.5 x 7 inches.
And yep! There's a learning curve.
The original top blew up on me so had to re-engineer that-- still from same log, just doesn't match as well.

Dave H

Attachments

Reactions: Travico

·
7,222 Posts
Sorry to read the son lost the battle with cancer.

This is a nice urn, and will be a fitting place for his ashes.

I smiled at reading the part about the top blowing up on you. You have turned a lot of gnarly wood and it is difficult to predict when a piece will remain stable long enough to be turned.

Well done on the recovery and the urn. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Really nice, Dave. Do you have plans for sealing the wood and sealing the lid shut? On the last couple of pet urns I've made, I coated the inside with 3 heavy coats of 2 part epoxy to seal in the ashes and seal out moisture. Just something to think about if you haven't already.

And what an honor and compliment to be asked to make such an important piece of art. Well done.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, and Yep! Initial lid was going to be a tight fit, then it self destructed. Redo, not so snug, so they'll likely try silicone along the overlap.
Dave H

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.