Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Knot size is somewhat relative to board size, lumber grade and whether the knot is tight or loose. A 2" knot in a 2" board is not a board, it is two boards.

In general "large" knots are more than 1/2 the width of the board. "Small" knots are less than 1/2 the width. Depending on the grade of the lumber the allowable width of a knot goes up or down. One knot per lineal foot is the grading standard.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There is so much to learn about sawing lumber. All of my lumber at first will be going inside the barn my wife and I are going to finish and move into. We are going to do the interior like a barn would be. The only interior walls will be done like a stall, and not but a couple of them. I will not have to worry about grading lumber. But I know I will need to learn.

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
549 Posts
Jimmy.. Welcome aboard! How long have those pine logs been on the ground?? If they're fresh then you might do OK with them but if they've laid there a year or so you'll likely find a lot of worm holes & possibly some rot. Either way they'll make for some good practice wood to hone your skills with.
Enjoy the mill! I'm jealous as I want one but can't afford the outlay.
Be safe & do learn how that camera works!
All the best from Maine.
..Jon..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Jimmy.. Welcome aboard! How long have those pine logs been on the ground?? If they're fresh then you might do OK with them but if they've laid there a year or so you'll likely find a lot of worm holes & possibly some rot. Either way they'll make for some good practice wood to hone your skills with.
Enjoy the mill! I'm jealous as I want one but can't afford the outlay.
Be safe & do learn how that camera works!
All the best from Maine.
..Jon..
Jon, The logs were cut two weeks ago. and there are several still standing that have to come down. Some are where I am going to put a workshop. I am very fortunate to have what I do. Don't give up on a mill where there's a will there's a way.

Thanks
Jimmy

21 - 24 of 24 Posts