Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Over the hills n far away
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old granddaughter Haleigh has shown interest in a sand timer we had in a board game, so I figured I'd make a real hourglass for her. After she damaged about three vertibrates in my neck and proclaimed "I Love It, I Love It, I Love It" I figured it was a hit.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
That is a cool project I keep meaning to do, and that price on the glass you linked is quite fair.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Very cool.

I wonder if anyone knows where I might find ones with 3 to 5 minutes of sand instead of an hour? I'd like to make one, but can't really use a one-hour one (or even a 1/2 hour one).

Paul

·
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I've looked around for some 3 or 5 minute kits, and found a source for you:

http://www.hourglasses.com/html/just_glass.html

Hey, thank you very much. I didn't intend to put anyone to trouble doing my research for me, I just thought someone might know off the top of their head. I really appreciate you're looking into it for me, and what you found is obviously JUST what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Paul

·
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're welcome. You sparked my own curiosity. Did you look around on the website I posted? There are some amazing hourglasses on there. Some 24 hour ones, outdoor, intricate carvings and inlays on the spindles, pewter ones, etc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Great project - I look at the little girl holding the project and keep thinking that she is trying to get the sand to flow faster - so the hour will go by faster - my kids would of tried that years ago...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts