Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only woodworker who doesn't like...

* ... the look of the medullary rays in quarter sawn oak? I guess I don't hate it. But the rays give a weird, "damaged" look. That's only my opinion, of course. I know others find the look attractive. It's just not my taste.

* ... tool boxes that have a lid that hinges upward. In my small shop, these kinds of tool boxes annoy the heck out of me. I need to store vertically and these boxes terminate the stacks too low. I need tool cabinets with only drawers and doors. Due to space constraints, I end up having to stack things on top of my various tool boxes. One of my tool cabinets doubles as a surface for one of my tabletop band saws.

As result, my tool box tops can't be accessed without having to take the stuff off of them. Either that or they tend to get so full that the lids can't be closed anyway. In the end, all of my tool boxes with hinged lids end up being way more of a pain in the ass space waster than useful storage. The drawers are the only reason I haven't abandoned them all together.

Even worse are when the lid has that locking bar that prevents the drawers from opening unless the lid is raised. Yeah, I've disabled that stupid bar on all three of my lidded tool boxes. And I have plans to make drawered tool cabinets to replace some of my lidded units. Have I mentioned that I HATE hinge lidded tool boxes? (Unless they are the carry-around type with a handle. But I have too many of those as well. So, yeah...)

Add your own annoyances or dislikes that others seem fond of. Or perhaps you can convince me that lidded tool boxes are awesome.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You're not alone. I usually end up leaving mine open so something that fits in the top will sit nicely...only on the ones at home. At work, I have to lock it..so the top is reserved for small tools.

I recently left a job of many years for a new one. At my old place I had 3 nice big cabinets with everything nicely organized and it was great...untill I left and had to take all my stuff.

At the new place I made sure to take only the tools I knew I would need on a regular basis so that I wouldn't need much space. Now I'm using a hinged lid box and I miss my cabinets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
... That lots of companies charge exorbitant amounts of money for woodworking tools and accessories that you know cost two cents to produce.

·
Super Moderator
4,399 Posts
Am I the only woodworker who doesn't like...

* ... the look of the medullary rays in quarter sawn oak? I guess I don't hate it. But the rays give a weird, "damaged" look. That's only my opinion, of course. I know others find the look attractive. It's just not my taste.
What about the flecks....:huh:

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
That's the cool thing about being able to make what you like and what to make it out of :thumbsup: I find regular oak boring and plain. I have been in love with those medullary rays for years, so much in fact I have around 150bf quietly stacked awaiting my call.
I have to say the only finish I use after fuming is General Finishes Armor Seal and Black Bison wax.

What I don't like is plywood that's not a true 3/4 or 1/2" I still buy the nice stuff when needed but what about a regular shop grade
birch? WHY!!!!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,399 Posts
Never heard them called flakes before.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right. The flakes. The are CAUSED by the rays and of course in one sense ARE the rays, but in that form they are called flakes (or flecks)
Then yes. The flakes. :smile:

That's the cool thing about being able to make what you like and what to make it out of :thumbsup: I find regular oak boring and plain. I have been in love with those medullary rays for years, so much in fact I have around 150bf quietly stacked awaiting my call.
I have to say the only finish I use after fuming is General Finishes Armor Seal and Black Bison wax.

What I don't like is plywood that's not a true 3/4 or 1/2" I still buy the nice stuff when needed but what about a regular shop grade
birch? WHY!!!!
I completely agree with all you said. I've seen plenty of really great pieces made from 1/4 sawn white oak. It definitely is a valid option. I won't deny that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Am I the only woodworker who doesn't like... tool boxes that have a lid that hinges upward. In small shop, these kinds of tool boxes annoy the heck out of me. I need to store vertically and these boxes terminate the stacks too low. I need tool cabinets with only drawers and doors.
In the end, all of my tool boxes with hinged lids end up being way more of a pain in the ass space waster than useful storage. And I have plans to make drawered tool cabinets to replace some of my lidded units. Have I mentioned that I HATE hinge lidded tool boxes?
Or perhaps you can convince me that lidded tool boxes are awesome.
Sorry you hate lidded tool boxes. I LOVE mine!! Of course the top is so high that I couldn't put anything on top of it anyway. Built this one last month, and still half the drawers are empty. It has tons of room. Just give it time…

Attachments

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
Sorry you hate lidded tool boxes. I LOVE mine!! Of course the top is so high that I couldn't put anything on top of it anyway. Built this one last month, and still half the drawers are empty. It has tons of room. Just give it time…
Not a big fan of quarter sawn oak. If I could sand that weirdness out, it would be ok.

Really nice tool storage center Tom Clark! Is there something between the drawer and the cabinet that looks white in the pic?

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tim Clark, very nice tool chest setup there. I wouldn't mind a lid on a stack that tall. Man, I need to make some exactly like yours. That would be very useful in my space. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Never heard them called flakes before.
More people call them flecks than flakes. Google gives about 100,000 hits for "ray flecks in quartersawn wood" vs about 25,000 for "ray flakes in quartersawn wood"

I learned "flakes" before "flecks" so have just stuck with it even though I know it's a minority preference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fumed Quarter sawn White Oak

I am getting about 1000 bd ft of white oak quarter sawn to use as molding in my house. I am wondering how to fume it? I will post a main thread but was wondering since it was brought up in the thread.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I am getting about 1000 bd ft of white oak quarter sawn to use as molding in my house. I am wondering how to fume it? I will post a main thread but was wondering since it was brought up in the thread.
Thanks!
Tell the stack of oak it looks like pine. That's make if fuming mad :smile:

Seriously, it's a nasty thing you do with ammonia. You can look it up with Google.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts