Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to replace the veneer on a piece of stereo equipment with a match to the wood and finish on the piece below. I am fairly certain that it is Rosewood so I know my options are limited. I am not opposed to a look-alike veneer if it could be stained to match. I am also open to rebuilding it in hardwood but the existing case is solid, so veneer seems easier. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Table Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I am wanting to replace the veneer on a piece of stereo equipment with a match to the wood and finish on the piece below. I am fairly certain that it is Rosewood so I know my options are limited. I am not opposed to a look-alike veneer if it could be stained to match. I am also open to rebuilding it in hardwood but the existing case is solid, so veneer seems easier. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 438797

View attachment 438797
There are luthiers and guitar companies that are using Pau Ferro as an alternative to rosewood. Looks and acoustically behaves similar. Not sure of the availability. Try looking at a luthier supply website such as Stew Mac.

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
That piece in the photo is just an example of the Rosewood you would like to duplicate, right?
I have some solid Honduran Rosewood, but it's more brown in color, unlike your example.
I have ordered from this company with good results:

Ebay may have some:

·
Registered
559 Posts
There are over 20 recognised varieties of rosewood, getting a perfect (or near as makes no different) match is going to be a mammoth task.
That might not even be a real wood veneer.
If at all viable financially it would be better to start again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are over 20 recognised varieties of rosewood, getting a perfect (or near as makes no different) match is going to be a mammoth task.
That might not even be a real wood veneer.
If at all viable financially it would be better to start again.
The piece in the photo is mine and it is wood. The veneer on the matching component is damaged. My hope is to at least come close since they will sit next to each other.. They are not identical now and I much prefer the coloring and grain of this piece. In the end I suppose veneering both pieces would yield the best end result but I hate to remove beautiful 45 year old veneer.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
I think you are wasting your time looking at catalogs. You will never get a match that way. The best way to get a match is to visit a store that sells veneers and look it the wood in person while you have your piece of equipment with you. ANNNND be prepared to do some color touch-up.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,857 Posts
For starters, rosewood varies wildly in grain, and color. I have guitars with necks that are nearly ebony dark, and somethat are close to Peanut butter light, so the wood itself isn't exactly going to be consistent. If you are looking to simply veneer, I know luthiers / guitar MFGs have shifted to Pau Ferro I think it is called to replace Rosewood. And as a bonus, the grain and color tends to be more consistent...

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,076 Posts
Check out Certainly Wood in East Aurora, NY. I've been buying from them almost since they opened their doors in the mid 80's. You'll see actual photos of the veneer and should be able to get close to what you want.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I think looking at Gilmer's website is a good place to start. They have decent photography of the actual pieces, and you order what you are looking at. I live in Oregon and have gotten wood from them previously. They have a LOT of species. Used to be a guy named Jim who ran the warehouse for Miles Gilmer. I don't know who it is now, but if you emailed them the photo of what you're trying to match, they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Boy, that's some beautiful wood. I've seen things like that that were actually laminate.

Quickstep has got something pretty close there. You won't know til you actually get it but I think it would be worth a shot.

The only other option would be removing the veneer or veneering over it :( Some commercial veneer is adhered with contact cement, in which case your sunk on getting it off. But You could try hitting it with a heat gun or an iron and see if the veneer will loosen. If that works, and if you can get it off safely, you could re-veneer both pieces to match and mail the original stuff to me :).

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
7,919 Posts
I didn't find any Rosewood at treefrog:

Sounds like he's not committed to just Rosewood..

#1...Never stop at what the website offers. You would be surprised what a phone call and talking to them live could lead to. They could have old stock not offered on the Website. They might offer a lead.

#2....Treefrog is a pretty good source. I've worked with it and it's pretty nice to work with. Comes in a flat finish and can be left of sanded and finished..

#3....Take a digital photo.. Many reputable vaneer companies will search if you send the photo for a match...

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
lived in Okinawa in the late 70's, bought multiple pieces of furniture in rosewood because we loved it so much. looks just like your pic. i can honestly say that i havent seen it here in the us since. i hope you can locate some.

how big is your damaged area?

·
Registered
Termite
7,919 Posts
This is when your salesman can really be a big help and 2hen you don't have one you spend a day on the phone looking up sources...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts