Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I live in CA where it's no longer possible to buy oil-based paint. I picked up a small dresser at a garage sale and want to repaint it. Aside from driving to Nevada for a paint run, is there another alternative? Epoxy based paint?

Thanks in advance, -SW

·
Registered
27,109 Posts
Actually epoxy paint would make a better more durable paint than an oil based enamel. If you did a good job of priming the dresser sanding it really smooth you could also use a water based automotive paint. I'm not sure how you could dull the sheen on that. The stock finish would only come in a high gloss. With many finishes you can add corn starch to the paint to make it satin but I don't know if it's compatible with the automotive paint. I would ask the automotive paint store if they make a flattening agent first before resorting to using corn starch. I know it would work initially but don't know if it would shorten the duty life of the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Oil based paint is pretty much a thing of the past. Other than primer (rarely) I see no reason to use it.

SW Pro Classic is a good paint and will do the job.

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil based paint is pretty much a thing of the past. Other than primer (rarely) I see no reason to use it.

SW Pro Classic is a good paint and will do the job.
Thanks. My concern is painting over existing paint. Clearly latex doesn't work and If I can avoid stripping the entire thing that'd be great.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
As long as it prepped right water based paint will do it. Clean and lightly sand.

You can always use a primer. If available in CA BIN shellac based is a good choice

·
That Guy
414 Posts
Can you still buy Rustoleum rust paint in CA?

That's what I've done to get around the problem, everything that used to get oil based paint like baseboards and door and window trim now gets painted with Tremclad (Canadian version of Rustoleum - same company). It's oil based and still available here as a "specialized" paint for "farm and implement".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts