Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was an alternative to putting a good edge on a card scraper. I don't own a burnisher and I have quite a few projects coming up where I could use my scrapers.
Is there a way I could use my granite slab sharpening system to put a good hook/edge on card scrapers?
How do you all keep your scrapers edged?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I make small scrapers (2" & 3") from the hard steel used in lumber strapping, the 1.25" wide stuff.
The wood work is quite small.
Cut with aircraft metal shears and tidied up with a chalked up file. One long edge squared off
with the file. I turn the file around and use the shank to create the burr.
Not very good at it yet but better than the shreddies with sandpaper.

·
where's my table saw?
28,562 Posts
this will help

Reactions: asevereid

·
Registered
79 Posts
I made my first burnisher from an old triangle file.

Sand the teeth off the three sides with a disc sander, then smooth, round and stone the three edges.

Be careful grinding the teeth off the file, take your time. don't burn yourself, it gets hot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ultimate burnisher, obtain a fine carbide rod. Mine is made from a 1/8" diameter polished round blank, 3" long. I ordered mine from enco for less than 5$ I have also used HSS drill bits and HSS round tool blanks.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you can use HSS drill bit sets in the alternate of burnisher and epoxying a dowel on each end of one of the heavier bits and using it as a burnisher..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts