Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
so I sanded it flat and put SS pins in the bottom and the top of the front panel to keep it closed

I then cut a patch spline to put where I cut the extra rabbit by accident

when it was dry I did my sanding and here we are

to start the top I cut the finger joints on the 1 1/2 in pieces for the sides and front and back

I then put them together dry and tested to make sure they fit the rim of the lower half...perfect fit...measured the inside height and got 3 inches......hmmmm.......so I threw them in the scrap barrel and cut some 4'' pieces......

now one thing about finger joints.....cut the pieces adjacent to each other the same way and you will have little problems....lose track and mess up and you cut a whole new piece....there is no repair here except to change the height.

these turned out perfect and i like the height better

next I took the piece I picked for the top and put a rabbit all the way around it and cleaned it up with my lil shopmade rabbit plane

and again with the glue and clamps

while that dries I took this time to rout all the edges of the lower unit except the front bottom as I dont think there is enough there to hold if I do. Im not gonna put anything on the corners so I routed all the way across.

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
now cutting a groove all the way across the back of the till may seem a tad crazy at first, but the hinges Im gonna use can be installed backwards, that is with the pin barrel in that groove, to give it a positive stop at about 35 degrees...so the top leans back from straight up a bit

now here is where I lost about 10 pics, dont know where they went but they are gone. that is what I get for waiting 3 days to post I guess.anyways......

when the top dried I took it and routed it like the lower unit and sanded everything down to 180...I have only been going to 120 up till this figuring I would have to sand again because every time I touch this chestnut it leaves a mark and I hate to sand but some of the pieces are just to small to scrape without handling it to much.
at 180 it looked pretty good but it was just not what I was going for...it looked new...too new...so I beat it up.put on the first coat of BLO and here we are

it may look a lil funny at first with the lid that high but a CD case fits standing up and that it probably what this will get used for
that pic is in full light and this 1 is a lil shaded....like on a shelf or in a corner

well that is the case and next comes the drawers...till then.....good woodworking guys

BTW I didnt do the glue up for the panels..the wood was glued up when I recovered it from a piano and they didnt try to match grain at all and actually Im glad...I kinda like the randomness of it

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,373 Posts
Looking good man. Some great problem solving going on there. I like the fact that you've had some problems, but you still keep plugging on and fixing the problems as you go. Good for you. Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Great work, Lawrence. Looks like you'll have no problem with the Christmas deadline... are you trying to be like Ken? Damn over achievers. :D

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Lets see there Frank.. Ken has finished all three, I finished mine, Lawrence is almost finished with his and longbow is nearly done with the one he is working on over in Sweden.:thumbsup:

Frank (who had the idea in the first place) has not yet started.....:thumbdown:

Lawrence, its coming on nicely. I really like that you are thinking your way through this and making adjustments as you go. Shows great skills to be able to modify things on the fly in order to adapt to the environment and/or available tools and hardware instead of just following the directions.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
In my defense, johnnie, I wasn't home for two weeks and I'm a slow sumbitch anyway. I'll be lucky if I can finish a coaster in the time frame I put out there but I still intend to try. Did some work on wiring the basement last night though, does that count for anything? :laughing:

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
be back at it asap....I have alot of metal parts in me and this change of seasons/weather is taking its toll

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,373 Posts
be back at it asap....I have alot of metal parts in me and this change of seasons/weather is taking its toll

Should have used wooden parts. :laughing: Get back at it when you feel up to it man. I'll be sitting here waiting patiently for the return of you and your tool chest. I hope you're feeling better.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Good things are always worth waiting for so when ever you are ready we will be here. Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: Kenbo

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
okay guys Im back...actually Ive been done a few days but really hate typing.

I was gonna go with poplar one the drawers but poplar really doesn't "say" anything...kinda bland...so I went to my old stand by pine

I didnt like the drawer sizes so I changed them up just a tad

after cutting everything to size I started to think about the drawer bottoms and what to use for them when a glint from the far corner caught my eye...I have some sheets of aluminum plate that have been there years...time to use some of it

with that choice made I cut my dados and rabbit om the drawer parts

assembly was really easy with the rabbits....

while the glue dries I will take these piano keys make some knobs

scrape off all the black paint to expose the ebony...make a few cuts on the band saw and I got these

now to mark the drawers so I can get them on straight

after drilling the holes in the right places I needed to sand those pencil lines off

putting the knobs on....that green on the side of the drawer is apple scented wax....the only wax I could find was the wifes christmas candle...oh well...looks like christmas just got a tad darker

here is the first look at the drawer layout

and here she is with 2 coats of BLO on.....may thin some poly onto it but I kinda like the way it has an old look to it....

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm gonna let whoever gets it for Christmas finish the inside in whatever color they want and choose the brass handles or wood handles or maybe no handles...who knows but I don't want to poke any unnecessary holes in it......

Thanks for looking

tools:
tablesaw
bandsaw
dado blade
scraper
planes
belt sander
chisels
masking tape
tape measure
TB1 TB3
brad gun
3/4" brads
3/8" brass screws
mallet
phillips screwdriver
squares
straight edge
router table
router bits. 1/4 straight 1/4 box.. 1/2 cove
dovetail saw
marking gauge

all I can think of right now

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,373 Posts
Lawrence, this is awesome. I love the fact that you changed the drawer layout. I'm also in love with the way you mixed up materials and used up some old stuf that was in your shop. Awesome job and some great work. I'm glad to see that you are feeling a little better and that you were able to get back into the shop. Well done good sir. Well done.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Way to go Lawrence. I love the use of the piano keys as handles. I am surprised by the pine, it looks a lot better than I would have expected. Very fine final product.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts