Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that over time, when I make these for all the grand kids, they get some movement and cracks. I don't think I can do much about it other than use some of the flexible wood putty in the joints, due to the wood movement compounded with the grain going in different directions. I have 1 more to make yet and welcome your input on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
How about a simple bevel or ease the edges enough to make it look intentional where the pieces meet?
It is a beautiful work of art you have there, something you must be proud of and your grand children have something to pass down to their children.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
it appears that you patterned the pieces with the body features for a nice look. unfortunately the cross graining got you. i would go with the idea above, enhance the joint by easing the edges. nice job by the way!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Geltz 61 let me first say what a fine job you`ve done on the rocking horses first class man ,but, all the stress seems to be on the center of the job the rocking horses that I have seen have the horses legs firmly mortice and tenoned into the rockers maybe something to look at.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's all kiln dried lumber. I think all the cross grains are the problem. Maybe I'll try softening the edges as suggested. Thanks for all your help.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
I agree with the soft look in area that are going to take the load. Don't see it as a problem on any of the scroll saw embellishment which by the way are amazing.

Jerry

·
Registered
697 Posts
Very nice work.I don't think softening the edges will be much help.I would resaw some of the wood for thes particular pieces(since they are small) and laminate them with alternating grain to get the thicknes you need ,then cut them from these blanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts