Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am submitting my final paper of the semester today, so I'm already looking forward to the weekend! Since this weekend should be the first without rain or less than desirable temperatures in quite a while I am planning to work on one of my other hobbies, smoking meats. A few years ago I got the bug to learn how to properly smoke meats after watching a couple of episodes of BBQ Pitmasters. I picked up a fairly inexpensive backyard smoker, did some reading, and started messing around. In honor of the end of the semester I am planning to do a couple racks of St. Louis style spare ribs this weekend. Here's my method

Trim the ribs and remove membrane
Coat with rub (1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup paprika, 1 tbsp. salt, 1 tbsp. black pepper, 1 tsp of cayenne pepper, 1 tsp of chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp dried mustard)
Let sit for about 30-45 minutes while I get the smoker going. I use pecan wood to smoke ribs. Get the smoker to about 240-250 degrees.
Put the ribs on, meat side down. Monitor the temperature of the smoker to ensure it stays at 240-250, adding more pecan if I have to, and let the ribs smoke for 2.5 hours.
Lay out a sheet of aluminum foil and lay down a strip of honey and a few chunks of butter. Lay the ribs meat side down on the honey and butter and then pour a strip of honey and a few chunks of butter on the back side of the ribs, pour a small amount of beer on the foil, then wrap them up in the foil and place it back on the smoker for 1.5 hours.
Remove the ribs, unwrap, and place back on the grill for a final 1 hour.

This method is a combination of stuff I've picked up reading about barbecuing and practicing to find the right mixture that my wife says "okay, so those were really good". I don't think it would get me on BBQ Pitmasters any time soon, but that's not the goal.

Anyone else into barbecuing? Have any good recipes or tips you'd like to share with the group?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
craigwbryant said:
Anyone else into barbecuing?....
Laughing!

Anyone else drooling?

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Anyone else into barbecuing? Have any good recipes or tips you'd like to share with the group?

I got a tip for beer can chicken from one of our members (Taylormade). I've gotta say, it's the best tasting chicken I've ever had. There are several receipe's on the "net", to include some very good rubs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to have to try yours, it sounds great. What kind of smoker do you have?
Ray, I have the cheap-o Brinkman. I think I paid about $40 or so for it at either Home Depot or Gander Mountain (we had one of those in Fayetteville where I was living at the time). Its by no means fancy and I'm sure if I spent more money on a higher end one I could get better results but I've been happy with what I have. I use real wood chunks instead of charcoal, I have found that this is easier to keep the temperatures consistent. I also have devised a system where I use some bricks to rest the fire-pan on so if I need to get to the fire for some reason I can just lift the whole smoker off instead of trying to mess with it through the small door in the side. Its a bit of redneck engineering but my little family has been happy with the products that come off of the smoker so I'm happy with it. I have lots of expensive hobbies (woodworking, golf, motorcycle), so I have to pace myself when buying new toys!

I have

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a damn good recipe for a marinade that I use on every thing I will sit down and try to write it up tonight or tomorrow I just have it memorized lol.... by the way you can't talk about smoking some ribs without inviting us :laughing:

·
Registered
253 Posts
This weekend I will be cooking for a small group of friends. During the cooking I will be getting ready for a competition I am entering as well. They are my testing group. Here is my rig, it is 15 feet long 6 feet high and 3 feet deep. It has a horizontal smoker, vertical and grilling area with a rotisserie. It was made by David Klose out of Houston. Fully loaded it can cook about 250-300lbs of meat.

CWB, that is a very good rub and technique you have! My rub is very very similar. I do almost the same thing, I smoke for about 2 hours over pecan or applewood for ribs, then add a few items such as honey and a additional sprinkle of rub, seal with foil and cook for another 2 hours. I cook between 175-225 degrees. I do not finish on the grill but I might try a rack on there and see how it turns out. I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend, let us not forget what Memorial day is truly about.

Hays

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts