Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started turning this cypress( I think) blank and was going right along until I noticed cracks developing or uncovered during turning. First reaction was to use CA to secure them-- ok that worked for turning until the bowl started making "THE sound"--- y'all know it-- just before it blows up. Anyway, got the lathe stopped and now had a really long and big crack. Thought I'd make a thread--it'll either be a save or y'all will say "told ya so".
Here's the first pics: Can see the hairline cracks that the CA went to initially, and the duct tape is what I use to keep the epoxy in place.

More pics soon.

Dave H

Attachments

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
I'll preface my comment by mentioning that I know approximately squat about lathe work. That said, how thick is the bowl right now? Would you be able to epoxy in a couple of Dutchmen and then fill the crack with epoxy/whatever else? A contrasting color of Dutchmen could be very handsome.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That crack appears to go all the way accross the bowl. A couple of dutchman along the crack would look nice. With the crack that long, I don't know if I would trust just epoxy buy itself to hold the bowl together, if you have a lot more turning to do on it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it lived!
The first 2 pics are what it looked like before the final turning, sanding, and finishing. The walls are a little less than 1/4 inch thick.
Since it's a light wood, I used lacquer as the finish. The thin CA held nicely in the narrower cracks.
Dave H

Attachments

Reactions: Travico
1 - 5 of 5 Posts