Woodworking Talk banner

Would you write a tool user review given the opportunity?

• I have no interest in user reviews at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As woodworkers, we are always "needing" a new tool to replace one that is worn out, or to fill a need for which we have no tool at the present, or just because we need a more efficient version of a current tool.

If we had a section on this forum devoted to tool reviews, would you participate by reviewing at least one tool you currently own? We would not need anything fancy, just a concise, unbiased (as much as possible) review of the tool itself. Its performance and features only would do. No need to sell the company to others - just a tool review not a company review.

Then, when you purchase a new tool down the road and have done your due diligence (reading reviews here and elsewhere) you could give that new tool a review also.

The long term goal is to build a comprehensive database of tool reviews where we could come in helping with the decison making process when considering the purchase of a new - or even used tool. We have some tool reviews on the forum scattered in various threads mostly Power Tools etc., but that section is also used largely for asking how to use them or what is wrong with one or some other non-review purpose. This would concentrate them in one single area which would cut down on searching and hunting to find a review that may or may not be there or somewhere else on the site.

I am not asking for tool reviews here right now, and please do not post one as yet. I am asking you if you think you could, and would, write a review on a tool or two that you presently own. It does not matter the age (alot of people buy used tools and might be looking for one like you own and would love to see a review) or condition, or use for the tool as long as it is woodworking related.

It could be anything from a hand plane to a vaccum system to a circular saw to a drill. A table saw, bandsaw, hand chisel, HVLP spray rig, or a woodcarving system. Anything at all related to our hobby/profession. Even a specific glue would be fair game.

your experience level is not important at all. If you own a tool, you know what you like and don't like about the tool. We want your opinion of it. If you would, please let us know here if you are interested so we can gauge the interest level of this idea. If we only get a response or two here it will be evident that the interest level is not behind it, but if we have enough interest we will implement the section soon. A Tool Reviews Section could be added even, if there is enough interest.

Thanks for your participation in advance (thinking positive here).

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is a nice idea for those who are considering buying a new tool or machine. Wish we had this on one of my laser forums!!!

Nancy (134 days)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would like this, as long as it doesn't turn into to brand wars. Some guys are total cheerleaders. I think its a good idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great idea! Woodworkers reviewing tools should give a pretty unbiased slant and manufacturers might learn a thing or two also!

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I agree that some reviews might not be as "professional" as we are used to reading in the woodworking mags, but I am convinced alot of those reviews are "bought and paid for" anyway.

As to 'brand wars" I don't think it will be a problem and each reader must weigh the veracity he or she thnks is in the words of the user, based on how the user presents it.

It is usually easy to tell when a reviewer is glossing over the cons or amplifying the pros. I think all-in-all, like you said basically, we should not be afraid to try a new idea based on the potential undesirable side issues which might crop up.

This is looking like we might have some pretty good interest so far. As to the Kreg Pocket Hole review, we need one of those too. A person can give a differeing review of it without slamming another reviewer.

A potential buyer of a pocket hole guide can read yours, and someone elses, and at least they will have two or more views which is more information than what they had.

·
Registered
44 Posts
TexasTimbers,
I think this is a cool idea. I used to be very brand loyal, but evey since I took my shop from hobby to professional, brand loyalty went out the window. Just an example, I used only 18 volt Dewalt drills, I have 2 but I recently purchased the new Bosch 10.8 pistol and right angle drills and can't believe the power in the small packages. Not for drilling though, I use them mainly for assembly with pocket holes. Oh yes, I admit it. Pocket holes are the wave of the future. I started with the simple jig, then went to the pro kit jig, then it turned full obsession I bought the Kreg foreman with the pneumatic hold down clamp. Awesome machine! 300% better than the Porter Cable and it makes smaller pocket holes. Sorry didn't mean to salivate over tools but you know it's just gonna happen.

Scott A. Mordecki / Nailgunner7
http://fallentimber.mysite.com

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys and gal, are on the exact page I was hoping we were all on.

Seawolf, no need for another category in the poll, your review does not have to be positive - just honest. You can check either of the "I will write a review . . " selections and just write up the tool you were/are disapointed in.
That is the whole point of user reviews. To tell the truth. Sort of like a woodworkers Voir Dire. I do not discount editor reviews but I prefer user reviews any day.
No one is asking for positive reviews only just honest ones. Yours may be 180 degrees apart from someone who lives right next door to you and who uses the exact same tool, but if they are both honest opinions then are both equally valid and useful for a person who wants as much information as they can get in order to make an informed choice.

A $100 tool purchase is not alot to some, but it is alot to others. Like me. I do not want to spend even $10 only to find out I wasted it. We have all done it and may again in the future but the more info we have the less likely that is. The whole point of the tool review section is to help someone avoid making a purchase they might regret. So a tool that is not worth recommending as you say, also deserves a review so other can have your input.

I am way too long winded. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would be willing to write a review but with the understanding that it might be the only brand of that certain tool that i have ever used. but i feel i can give a pretty good acount of its use...

I know what "sharp", "straight" and "solid" mean so :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I am going to contribute, but probably skew the purpose of this pole (which tool should I buy from the catalog that showed up at my door today? Or read about in a woodworking magazine, which are 80% ads and 20% content ,that cost me the same as a nice piece of lumber each issue for mostly adverts...) Oh, I feel a rant coming on...no maybe later . OK most likely later. My fist review will probably be of a Stanley plane, 100 years old and still working quite well. :thumbsup: Don't get me wrong I have "gadgets", but tools do not make the woodworker. Maybe a nice shop, but I could buy all the auto mechanics tools in the world and still not be able to do a simple tune up?

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't put yourself in a loner category Daren. We are all, as woodworkers, quirky about our tools in our own little ways.

Woodworking in general, consist of people who have an appreciation for basic things. Some eschew power tools altogether. Some have no idea what an Adze is. Many are in between. It does not matter. A woodworking tool is a tool. Review it. That's all that matters. You don't have to like power tools to review a scraper, that you made, from a worn out recip blade.

The category is going to read "Tool Review". Not " A Review of Power Tools made my Major Manufacturers.". It is, literally, a "Tool Review".

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well, it sounds like everyone's on board.

Should I just add a forum called "Tool Reviews" to the Tools, Materials & Safety section or does anyone have sometime more original?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Sounds good to me Nathan. I would really like to read about tools that are truly used everyday, not just tested in a lab.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good to me Nathan. Simpler the better I say. Why don't you write a couple of reminders/guidelines or maybe calling it Tips on Writing a Review where you remind members that it is "Tool Review" section and not a place to take someone to task, or even a place to debate someone about their opinion.
Reviews should focus on the tool and not the brand other than maybe to mention the warranty etc. and history of the line of the tool if they want but nothing like "Bosch is the best and DeWalt sucks eggs" etc.

I know most people will not argue with someone over their opinion but some will need a reminder beforehand. We al slip up on occassion. Me included. We probably don't need it to sound like we are warning kindergarteners but let's face it there is a 2% of yoyos out there who make waves so we gotta post some guidelines IMO.

Also how about a link to the picture posting tutorial that would be handy because some will not post a picture if they cant figure it out real easy.

Any other ideas y'all?

Thanks Nathan. You are the best Administrator on the net. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I wouldn't want to see people arguing over a review or a brand fanboy coming in and bashing something but I don't really have a problem if someone responds to a review and disagrees. Maybe I'm wrong but the whole idea of a forum is to exchange ideas and opinions.

Anyways, I've added the forum and posted a quick intro. I might expand the guidelines later if needed.

Here it is: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8297#post8297

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi Guys and Gal

I think this is an excellent plan. I have been playing with wood for fourty tears, but along side of the skill level many of you have, I am a rank amateur. When I first started, I had little money, not much space, and no where near enough time. Now that I am retired, and moved to my place in Powell River, I have a lot more time, a ridiculous amount of shop space, and some funds to play with. As a result, as I go along, I am looking to upgrade my tools, as my interests change, and my skill level improves. Having a reference to which tools are actually worth having would be a great resource. Right now I find myself searching many different forums to find the answers.

Having one source would be great.

I don't think it will matter, if some of the reviews are done by newbies, as some of the tools, while a gem, in the hands of a seasoned woodworker, are an utter pain in the behind for a relatively untrained person to use. We would not want to direct someone toward an expensive tool that requires a high level of skill, just to understand, if all they want to do is a simple piece of work.

I am looking forward to reading the reviews, and hopefully being able to contribute something back into them.

Best Regards:

Gerry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts