Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has a business in nearby city, LARGE pecan tree just fell over recently. Long story short they had to cut it up and asked if I'd be interested in "some" wood. Went over this morning and pleasantly surprised, pieces were just about right for me! I loaded what I could on trailer ( by myself!) with ramp and pike.
Had to leave biggest pieces-- there just wasn't enough of me.
Yeah, it's green, but I can wait.....
Dave H

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
That's great. Free wood is the best wood!

My and my brother picked up some maple for $200. I know it wasn't free but we got about 10 facecord of firewood and as many bowl blanks as I can handle.

The widest parts of the trunk were almost 5 ft across

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!! :eek:
Don't see many trees 'round here that big!
What I got made my truck squat some--can't imagine piece that big.
$$ not bad long as yer happy. :yes:
Dave H

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
A friend has a business in nearby city, LARGE pecan tree just fell over recently. Long story short they had to cut it up and asked if I'd be interested in "some" wood. Went over this morning and pleasantly surprised, pieces were just about right for me! I loaded what I could on trailer ( by myself!) with ramp and pike.
Had to leave biggest pieces-- there just wasn't enough of me.
Yeah, it's green, but I can wait.....
Dave H
Nice haul. What plans do you have for it?

·
Registered
996 Posts
cuerodoc said:
WOW!! :eek:
Don't see many trees 'round here that big!
What I got made my truck squat some--can't imagine piece that big.
$$ not bad long as yer happy. :yes:
Dave H
I'm not sure you want to see many trees that big. There say to damn heavy. And there even worse to split.

I wish I had some pecan wood. I've never turned it. Remember to post pics of it!

·
Registered
242 Posts
We had extremely high straight line winds blow though the area earlier this year (highest ever recorded by the national weather service in the metro area). An unbelievable number of trees were down and a lot of property damage. I saw a lot of bowls and pens just calling to me but I also knew the anguish the homeowners were going thru so I didn't bother them. Our city had a drop off point for trees if people wanted to clean it up themselves. The drop off area had a bunch of trees, mostly small stuff, but I did manage to bring home 2 pickup loads of walnut, sycamore, elm and oak, plus the cypress that fell in my yard. Not the best circumstances to get free wood but, better than letting it go to the landfill. I'm sure our yard waste pick up guy loves me...5 30 gal cans of sawdust 2 weeks in a row when I cut up the wood into suitable sizes.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those wondering, plan is to seal the ends and try out a new sawyer to me and get different size slabs cut--for me it'll be all turning supplies.
And yes, I share if one takes the time to come by.
Dave H

1 - 8 of 8 Posts