Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sixty years old, with a bad back. And bought a bandmill a few years ago. Like to work with wood, have lots of trees, and am a tightwad. Preferred to buy a mill over wood. But then you need a skidsteer to go get the logs, and put them on the mill, move boards, and someplace to pile the lumber, and so on and so on. You can use a tractor with fel, and forks, but you need something for lifting. And some guys use an arch with a atv to drag logs out of the woods. See what I mean?
That's about me. I've a little 23HP tractor w/ FEL and 3pt forks. I've also got a Woodmizer LT 10 BSM.

The CSM is for taking to the woods and if need be make the logs small enough to either carry the wood or make the cants so I can drag/carry them with the tractor.

One cut on a 10' 24" wide oak log with my 660 will probably take about 5 to 10 minutes, AFTER SETUP based on stats from another web site. The second cut will take about as long. If I square the log I get about a 17" cant. The "raw" log weighs about 1800lbs, the cant would be about 1300 lbs.

Based on recent experience dragging a 1 ton log requires me to get more wheel weights for the front (I don't like doing wheelies w/ my tractor!), cut off 500lbs and I can sit in the seat.

Or if I just CSM the log in half I can halve the weight I drag.

Now if I had a lumber company and big machines I'd ignore CSM

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good thread- CSMs work- I was really happy with the lumber I milled using an Echo 8000 and Pantherpro- Panther makes a great product for a great price- the design makes sense- and it works- good luck- Fnf

·
Registered
265 Posts
HF has a nice one I use with no prob. The blade that comes with it is only for set up and alignment so it cuts like crap. Got a timber wolf blade and it was like a new machine. Just my 2C worth.
Lee

21 - 23 of 23 Posts