Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a few quick questions regarding air siphon setups that use a pressure pot connected to an air compressor. How do you guys feel about using a setup like this versus just using an airless sprayer for spraying either latex or oil based primers and paints? I normally have two airless spray rigs, one for spraying latex or oil based primers, and the other for spraying clear coats. My older Gracco took out on me last week and now I must find a replacement.

This will be primarily for spraying latex or oil based primers. If you guys think these things are good for spraying regular latex paints then I might purchase two.

I am considering buying the el cheapo Harbor Freight air siphon kit that cost like $50 and trying it out to see how I like it. If I end up liking it then I will keep that one for spraying my primers and pick up a better one for spraying paints. Heck, the Harbor Freight unit might actually be decent enough to get by on for a while. I love their cheap $15 HVLP guns (use them all the time for spraying stain) as they are so cheap that they are practically disposable. I also own one of the airless spray rigs, and so far it has been a huge surprise as to how much I like it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26,215 Posts
If you are spraying latex wall paint or painting the exterior of the house with exterior latex house paint then I would prefer an airless. It puts out more volume and covers more area faster. The pressure pot setup is nearly the same but it gives you a multitude of adjustment to more different finishes in a more controlled manor. You could use it to spray cabinets inside and out or spray the trim with. I keep one pressure pot setup to spray clear lacquer and one to spray paints or fence stains. Last year I used one to paint an ornamental iron fence with an oil based enamel. I sure wouldn't do that with an airless.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Steve. This will be solely for spraying cabinets in my cabinet shop. Are there any brands and/or models that you would suggest looking at for the air siphon gun? I doubt that the pot makes much difference. I can get the 2.5 gallon pot at Harbor Freight for $80 with my coupon. They have an air siphon gun kit as well that comes with hoses for $30 or so, but, that gun might not be that great. Any suggestions on the guns? Do they typically come with a regulator? Or should I plan on buying a regulator as well?

·
Registered
26,215 Posts
I've got two sears pressure pots I've had for about 30 years. I don't know if they even sell them anymore. Anyway I think if I were to buy another one I would probably buy the HF pot. I would have to look at the HF pot closer but with the sears pot I can set a gallon can of paint inside the sprayer and use right out of the can. Unless I knock the thing over it cuts down on clean up. What I like on mine is I put a 25' hose set on mine so I don't have to move it very much. For the sprayer I use a HF #97855 sprayer and it work great. The pots normally have a regulator but you need to regulate the air at the compressor to about 40 psi too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts