Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a DeWalt 15 gallon 5.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI compressor. I've been thinking about an air sander, but am slightly confused by air sander specs.

Take this one for example:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21337_21337

It is rated at 4CFM, but then it lists it as a 17CFM at load. Well, if the 4CFM is at free spin, what good is even to list the 4CFM rating if you are obviously going to put load on it while sanding? Or is it that the range is 4CFM - 17CFM depending on the load?

What is curious is that Northern has their own air sander rated at 4CFM, but they do not put a load rating on it.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi all,

I have a DeWalt 15 gallon 5.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI compressor. I've been thinking about an air sander, but am slightly confused by air sander specs.

Take this one for example:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21337_21337

It is rated at 4CFM, but then it lists it as a 17CFM at load. Well, if the 4CFM is at free spin, what good is even to list the 4CFM rating if you are obviously going to put load on it while sanding? Or is it that the range is 4CFM - 17CFM depending on the load?

What is curious is that Northern has their own air sander rated at 4CFM, but they do not put a load rating on it.
I see what you mean, confusing at best. They also don't list the PSI the volume is required at. I would guess that [email protected] is closer to the real number you need. Takes a pretty substantial compressor to do that continuously. My 30 gallon Husky tank compressor is pretty close to the output specs you listed on your deWalt. Mine will run a die grinder, rated at [email protected], for about 45 seconds before the compressor kicks on and about 2 minutes before it drops below 90 PSI and I need to let the compressor recover.:smile:

·
7,222 Posts
I think your air compressor may not be a good fit for an air sander.

Many air powered tools require more air flow and pressure than you may appreciate.

I have a 1/4in die grinder. Easily powered by my 60 gal air compressor, but even with only a wire brush in the collet, it bogs down as soon as I make contact with anything.

I think you may not like the performance of the air sander, even if your compressor is able to provide sufficient air flow and pressure. I would consider electrical ROS over air.

·
Registered
181 Posts
To be able to use any type of air sander or really any air tool at its full potential you need HP and CFM. How much? Depends, but you certainly can not have to much of either. We have 2 120gal, 7.5hp, [email protected] psi and [email protected] psi compressors and with a a few air tools running at one time they all can be starved of air with in minutes. The key is high CFM at low PSI. You want volume not pressure. I think your best route would be an electric ROS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Yeah that is what I feared. I do have an electric sander, but one of my future projects may consist of sanding the wood ceiling of the patio which is around 10x30'. So laying on a scaffold with a weighty sander above me is going to be lots of fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts