Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am going to recover one of the outside walls of the front of my workshop with hand split shakes, and as the area will be several hundred square feet, I am thinking of purchasing an air nailer to do the installation. I would be using two inch nails for the work. I don't want to blow the bank on an air nailer, but am wondering if you have any suggestions for a good, reliable and reasonably priced nailer. I already have a good gas driven compressor, so I have a good air source.

Thanks

Gerry:huh:

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
Home Depot rents tools. you may want to look into something like that first if you don't think you'll be using the nail a lot in the future...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is avery good point aclose. Unfortunately, in my current location I am nowhwere near a Home Depot. Actually, the closest one is a ferry ride and drive away, so round trip would be better than $100. However, there is a tool rental place in town, so I will check it out.
Thanks for the input, cause I hadn't even thought of rental.

Gerry

·
Registered
37 Posts
i used to be a custom stereo box builder and we used nailers from every brand name you can think of, INCLUDING Harbor Frieght.

Now, I must say that the HF guns are not the quality of say a SENCO, or DEWALT. BUT.......If it's just a one or two time use every now and then. You can't beat the HF guns. They shoot fine , and hardly ever jam.

I also bought a roof nailer to do my shop, I think I paid 70.00 with a box of nails. I shot over 1000 roofing nails NOT once did it jam on me.

Now, My fav guns are SENCO. I bought a three piece kit off ebay for about 200.00 came with a finish nailer, brad nailer and stapler. FWIW.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd look at Amazon's selection and read whatever reviews each nailer has. With free shipping and no sales tax depending upon the state it's shipped to, you might be able to parlay those $$$ savings into ordering a better nailer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you have a Costco close by check them out. I purchased a trio set of nailer's at a very good price. Campbell Hausfeld was the brand - it had a brad nailer (small) another brad nailer (larger brads) and a 8 to 16 penny nailer. The cost as I recall was under $200.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a Costco close by check them out. I purchased a trio set of nailer's at a very good price. Campbell Hausfeld was the brand - it had a brad nailer (small) another brad nailer (larger brads) and a 8 to 16 penny nailer. The cost as I recall was under $200.
Hi Larry

I am not near a Costco, but Canadian Tire, in town, has a set of three Campbell Hausfield nailers for about $200. One is a brad nailer, one is a finish nailer up to 2 inch, and the third gun is a framing nailer, good for 2 inch to 3-1/2 inch. Were you generally satisfied with your CH nailers?
The box is a little tore up, so I was thinking of asking them if they would clear them out.

Gerry:shifty:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Ben

The Senco guns appear to be the Cadillac of guns, but up here they come with a Cadillac price too. What brand was your framing nailer?

Gerry

·
Registered
304 Posts
Gerry - totally satisfied with the Campbell Hausfeld units. That is a good price for the units, plus you get the air hose - I have used the brad and finish nailer many, many time, the framing nailer when I was building my shop was one of the best buys. This unit accepts many of the other brand of nails and you would not be unhappy with your purchases, and yes, you will always find a need for a brad and finish nailer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only real framing nailer I have is the Paslode. I use it probally 5 times a week, and it never gives trouble. But that might be out of your budget to only use it a couple of times.

My big SENCO is the FinishPro 35. AEWSOME nailer.

Do you really need a true framer for siding???

Exact kit off ebay I bought about a year ago. http://cgi.ebay.com/SENCO-3-Tool-Ki...ryZ42242QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input everybody. I think I will go and try a dicker with Canadian Tire for the Campbell hausfield set. Right after I check out the rental units for rent or sale.

Gerry

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only real framing nailer I have is the Paslode. I use it probally 5 times a week, and it never gives trouble. But that might be out of your budget to only use it a couple of times.

My big SENCO is the FinishPro 35. AEWSOME nailer.

Do you really need a true framer for siding???

Exact kit off ebay I bought about a year ago. http://cgi.ebay.com/SENCO-3-Tool-Ki...ryZ42242QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I noticed that the brad and finish nailers use nails that have virtually no head on them. I was thinking framing nailer beacuse they will shoot nails as small as two inch, that at least have a clipped head. My feeling is that if I use brads or finish nails to apply my shakes the nails may pull through. Am I being overly concerned with that issue?

Gerry:blink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't need a framing nailer either and that's wht I bought a Senco Palm Nailer for those infrequent times when I have to drive a lot of headed nails. May take a bit longer but unlike swinging a hammer, the nailer's pretty much doing all the work. And, at around $80, it doesn't break the bank. No special or expensive nails to buy or stock either.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I noticed that the brad and finish nailers use nails that have virtually no head on them. I was thinking framing nailer beacuse they will shoot nails as small as two inch, that at least have a clipped head. My feeling is that if I use brads or finish nails to apply my shakes the nails may pull through. Am I being overly concerned with that issue?

Gerry:blink:
You are right, a brad nail won't hold, you should be useing a galvinized or stainless nails.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have, like some others here, 4 or more nailers. Can't replace a framing nailer, and if you expect to do any framing or building, even just on your own place, it is a great tool to have, and pays for itself quickly. I have a Hitachi and a Paslode. But they are not tools that you will use for making cabinets or furniture. Perhaps a brad nailer is not a real "fine furniture" tool either, but is certainly handy for tacking things together while the glue dries on less fancy things. A brad nailer is NOT ok for applying shingles. I'd suggest you rent or borrow a framing nailer if you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
consider a stapler

You may want to consider a medium crown (7/16") stapler. It is what the pros would use.
My recommendation is for a Porter Cable MS200 16 Ga.
Shoot 2" galvanized staples.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why is there never enough time/money to do it right, but alway enough to do it over?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello all

I recently purchased a new Mastercraft framing nailer, from Canadian Tire. Ok, not a premium gun. but within my affordabilty range. On reading the manual it says to use only clipped head nails from 2" to 31/2" collated at 31 to 34 degrees. One problem. In this town almost no one has any nails collated at 31 to 34 degrees. The nails I am finding are almost all collated at 28 or 30 degrees. What is your experience with using nails collated at 30 degrees in a gun that is angled for 34 degrees? I will ask Canadian Tire and see what they say. As it is a brand new gun, I can always take it back.

Thanks for your input.

Gerry

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
I would not use a framing gun. Try to find a coil nailer... They shoot galvinized headed nails.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts