Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bostich 2hp 6 gal air compressor just died. I need to buy a new one and wanted to know your thoughts on the best bang for the buck. The compressor I had seemed to meet my needs which are only running nail guns, blowing dust off parts and bench, filling tires, and maybe running a few tools. I won't be using it to spray finishes because I plan on buying an airless sprayer someday.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Bostich was oiless, but I've read where the ones that use oil are more durable. I'm thinking Dewalt, Campbell Hausfield or, well I really don't know what other brands I should consider.
Any suggestions?
Jim

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
How long did it last?

And answer that for yourself...if it lasted say 5 years and made you X amt of money,it could be viewed as a very good product.If it only lasted 6 months,BUT....you framed up 3 houses.....well,you get the idea.

One brand/style that's been around forever is the old Emglo twin tank model.The Blue ones.They are still avail.

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BW, the Bostich only lasted a couple years with very, very light use. And it was very loud. I only used that compressor to fill tires, and blow off bench. I may have used it 10 times to run brad nailers or staplers.
I am going to look into the Emglo's. and I re really like the Central Pneumatic that Woodnthings linked to.

Thanks guys,
Jim

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I'm to decipher the diferences, besides the obvious, of the one that Joe linked to, compared with the pne Cabinetman linked to. It seems the harbor freight has 17 gal more capacity, 1.3 more hp, with both having oil pump and cast iron sleeve with over $150 price difference

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
i have a large 50gal/5hp in the shop, and a 2 ga/1hp portable. if i only could have one it would be the small one. campbell housefeld at least 12 years old going strong.

think that a large one will come your way someday.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Was It the flatter bostich? If so, I've had that one and used it for years. Mines been a real workhorse, when I sprayed my cabinets it would run for sometimes an hour straight without missing a beat.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The emglo of today isn't quite what they were. DeWalt bought them out several years ago and moved most/(all?) production to Mexico. Jenny Products is basically the old Emglo. They bought the old Emglo plant from DeWalt.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It may be repairable, but I doubt it. It needed a pressure switch and was going to replace it ($22 + shipping), but then the thing quit altogether and is leaking rusty water. I haven't even looked at it to see what the problem is, but For what it is, and what I paid for it, I don't see it being worth repairing. I bought it in a package deal with 3 nail guns included.
All I know is I will never buy anything with the bostich name on it again. Haven't used the nail guns much but they seem ok.
I have looked at dewalt compressors and they are a little expensive, but if the quality is there, which it is in their other products, then I'm willing to pay for quality.
Anyone have experience with dewalt compressors?

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I have had good luck over the years with several different Craftsman models. Always bought too small and had to upgrade. Right now I have a 30gal 5hp and a portable 3 gal, 2hp. Need both.

I highly recommend that you stay away from oil less. Way too noisy.

George

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts
I don't know if I'd blame Bostich

It may be repairable, but I doubt it. It needed a pressure switch and was going to replace it ($22 + shipping), but then the thing quit altogether and is leaking rusty water. I haven't even looked at it to see what the problem is, but For what it is, and what I paid for it, I don't see it being worth repairing. I bought it in a package deal with 3 nail guns included.
All I know is I will never buy anything with the bostich name on it again. Haven't used the nail guns much but they seem ok.
I have looked at dewalt compressors and they are a little expensive, but if the quality is there, which it is in their other products, then I'm willing to pay for quality.
Anyone have experience with dewalt compressors?
You must bleed the water from the tank on a regular basis, like after each use. :eek: Water will also work on the pressure regulator with bad effects. If your area has high humidity, condensation/water will be a constant issue, and you must oil the guns before each use. If you use quick disconnects and a long air hose, reverse blow it with a double male fitting. I did all that to my compressor in the garage and the 50 footer tonight. I need to follow my own advice..... :blink:

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I should have read the instructions about bleeding the tank. I do oil the nail guns before each use.
I am trying to hold off on my purchase until I do some more research, and a new Harbor Freight store is opening a mile from my house and the one I usually go to is about 40 miles away. They have a soft opening Oct 26, and Grand Opening Nov 13.
I guess I might just wait for the grand opening to see if they have any crazy deals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts