Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the top of our hog barn, under piles of old hay i have found nearly 100 10' 2x8 planks of aged walnut. I don't know the exact age of the wood but it has been up there for at least 50 years drying. The boards are in pristean condition and i have made a couple of shelves out of them. I dont do much in the area of lumber work so i don't have much knowledge of value of these boards, and i don't have any use for these many boards so i intend to sell most of if not all of them. What im looking for is any won who would know how much they are worth, and if there are any potential buyers in the Iowa area.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Age adds no real value, a popular misconception. They are a little over 13 BFT each if they are really good (free of knots and other defects) and flat I would not take less that $5 bft myself for 8/4, so that is $65 apiece anyway....So if you have 100, you just made a sweet little discovery :thumbsup:.
Who knows the right guy might give you a little more, put them in the paper for $80 each and see if you get any calls. Obviously I can't grade them without seeing them, or price another mans lumber. That is just a ballpark for really good ones, the buyer will know the difference. You kinda said you didn't.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Joe - tell us where you're located that will help move it. There's also Craigslist in your area I assume.

On the stuff you used....were there knots, etc. in it?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
In the top of our hog barn, under piles of old hay i have found nearly 100 10' 2x8 planks of aged walnut. I don't know the exact age of the wood but it has been up there for at least 50 years drying. The boards are in pristean condition and i have made a couple of shelves out of them. I dont do much in the area of lumber work so i don't have much knowledge of value of these boards, and i don't have any use for these many boards so i intend to sell most of if not all of them. What im looking for is any won who would know how much they are worth, and if there are any potential buyers in the Iowa area.
You lucky bunny. You have just experienced every woodworkers wet dream.

Gerry:thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Please don't tell me you used 2x8 walnut to make shelves. I am going to be sick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts