Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Of the frequent posters, plausibly. I get the feeling that a lot of the people that join just to ask a question or 2 are well under 50.

In part it tends to be an older person's hobby, also I wonder if younger people often just use YouTube and Google for how-to, not a forum such as this. Me? I'm a '57 Ford.
I'm a '57 Chevy
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

Reactions: Tony B

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,312 Posts
B...b..brain ffffog.. I have to think about everything 12 times, go in and watch TV awhile, think 12 more times, watch a bit more TV, eat lunch, sit on the can and think some more. It's not that I over think things..I just forget what I just thought.
Surgery in February did a number on my legs and sucked most of the strength out of me which really effects how I think about how I'm going to do things.
The scar is healed up, but the cutting went right across a bunch of nerves so I'm numb down to my knee on one side, my dominant side. Bleh..
I did notice something..For some damn reason I'm not getting any younger. I didn't expect that!

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,312 Posts
Now that is difficult to say "physiologically."

gmc
I can say physiologically better than I can spell it .I was born with a spell checker. Lol
What can I say? I could write a term paper to fool my language teachers to think I was really good at writing, but math? Oh those dark numerical arts.. Those were always my weak point..

·
Registered
Information Technology
60 Posts
47 here and old enough to know better but still young enough to make those mistakes. ;)

Old enough to grunt along with Tim "The Toolman" Taylor.
Young enough to read and post about my hobbies online.
Old enough to prefer forums like these instead of "social media" (remember when they called this Internet 2.0? lol)
Young enough to use online speak such as lol, btw, gg, etc.
Old enough to not use words and abbreviations such as sus, woke, finna, or af.
Young enough to not own a gimlet, drawknife, spokeshave, or scratch stock.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I thought a gimlet was a minty drink.

I’m 69. For me age might not be the determining factor or the only thing affecting my abilities. I’m not even supposed to be here. 9 years ago the doctors or some of them gave me 6 months to a year to live. I was diagnosed with stage IV incurable lung cancer with metastasis to the brain. Since that diagnosis I have had 3 major surgeries, 4 years chemotherapy, 3 years immunotherapy, gamma knife, and radiation treatment. One of the surgeries was to remove a golf ball size brain tumor which left me paralyzed on my left side. Another was to remove my gall bladder and a third of my liver after being diagnosed with liver cancer. Yeah, a second primary cancer. All of this has taken a significant toll on my body. After extensive physical therapy I regained most of the use of my left side with some tingling in hand and foot the only persistent effects. The chemo left long lasting effects. Shortness of breath, lack of strength, neuropathy in feet and hands and at times the entirety of my health issues affect my desire to do much of anything.

Keeping it going. In my workshop I have at least a half dozen projects going. There is a bowl I need to finish chucked in the lathe. A small end table sits at the end of the bench dry fitted and ready for final assembly. On the bench are most of the components for a ladder style shelf unit my wife asked me to build. They all get worked on at some point during the week.

Today or tomorrow I will pull out the river sled and prepare it for fall fishing. All the fuel lines need to be replaced. I rebuilt the carburetors last year which revealed problems with the fuel lines. I still fish some but not as much as I used to. I used to love to fly fish for steelhead but since the brain surgery I have some balance issues and wading in a river seems to aggravate those issues. So, no wading. Falling down in a swift forty degree river is not good. I still get my pontoon boat out to fish the lakes for trout and bass. Kicking the pontoon boat around is great exercise.

What would you do if you only had 6 months to live?

·
Registered
Information Technology
60 Posts
After extensive physical therapy I regained most of the use of my left side with some tingling in hand and foot the only persistent effects. The chemo left long lasting effects. Shortness of breath, lack of strength, neuropathy in feet and hands and at times the entirety of my health issues affect my desire to do much of anything.

What would you do if you only had 6 months to live?
So sorry to hear all of that suffering you had to endure. My wife is a two-time colon caner survivor, so I know just a taste of what that's like to deal with, but not to the extent you had to endure it. Wishing you the best!

If I had 6 months to live, I don't know what I'd want to do. It's easy to just rattle off something, but probably much different to experience that first hand.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I'll never see 75 again. People I know are dying about one per week. My lower legs are rusted out. A concussion some years back and my sense of balance has never recovered (cane & walker). Major abdominal after market parts installed Aug/19 = no lifting >20 lbs.
I have a shopper, gardener and housekeeper (part time) to cover that stuff. Electrician came today and worked until he ran out of parts. Repairs and really ugly light fixtures replaced, all LED now. I've been dreaming of a dozen "fixes" and most got done today. Man, It's like daylight in my kitchen now. I need a carpenter, the list is quite a length.

I can stand up long enough to chop a board or drill a hole. Wood carving, I can sit. That's relaxing. We moved a bunch of tools & wood upstairs last week so I don't need to do the stairs as much. I can stand up long enough for sharpening and honing but that's about all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm 57, have a few health issues but try not to let them get the best of me. I really have to pace myself in the summer months because the heat and humidity does me in. I'm looking forward to when it cools down and I can get into my garage. Still I have to make sure I don't over do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’ll freely admit that I made some of my best pieces while in my 30’s and 40’s. These were quality pieces of furniture that will still look great in 100 years, and someone will wonder about who made them during a time when most everything was mass produced. I had a much bigger shop then, and now have to rely on hand tools for much of everything. It’s not that the hand tools make my projects any worse. In ways, they are better, but back then I was able to make things much more quickly and prodigiously.

About the only power tool that I feel handicapped for not having is a bandsaw. For resawing and turning logs into boards, a bandsaw comes in handy.
I now make maybe one or two projects per year, and they are much more simple, yet still well made.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts